Shell Houston Open donates over $2.2 million to charity
November 1, 2012
HOUSTON– Officials today announced that proceeds of $2,285,000 from the 2012 Shell Houston Open PGA TOUR event and the Houston Golf Association’s other golf-related activities has been put to work in the Houston community.
That figure represents an increase of more than $200,000 over 2011 and boosts the Houston Golf Association (HGA) charitable contribution total to nearly $57.5 million since 1974. It also marks the 19th consecutive year the contribution has been a million dollars or more.
Shell Oil Company president Marvin Odum and Houston Golf Association president Steve Timms jointly made the announcement at a luncheon at One Shell Plaza. Houston Vice Mayor Pro-Tem Ed Gonzalez also officially
proclaimed Thursday, November 1, 2012 as Shell Houston Open – A Chance for Children Day.
“We’re proud that the Shell Houston Open has gained a reputation as a powerful fund-raiser for youth development programs as well as a world class professional golf tournament,” said Odum.
HGA, a 501c (3) non-profit organization, has been promoting golf in the region since 1946. It has been funding local youth-development programs and charitable organizations since 1974.
“Our supporters – sponsors and volunteers alike – continue to challenge us to do more to positively impact the lives of young people each year,” said Timms. “We salute those stakeholders for helping us in our mission to make our community better.”
Shell Oil Company has been title sponsor of Houston’s PGA TOUR event since 1992. During that 21-year partnership with Shell, more than 93% of the total funding has been generated. Shell’s title-sponsorship agreement with the PGA TOUR and HGA runs through the 2017 event.
A part of the overall funding goes to HGA Youth Programs, which include an academic scholarship program as well as The First Tee ® of Greater Houston chapter, which reached more than 90,000 young people 2011-12, and HGA Junior Golf. More than 200 additional worthy causes and non-profit organizations also received donations or gifts-in-kind.
Shell Houston Open ongoing benefiting charities, which annually supply volunteers for the tournament, are: Acres Home Youth Association, Boys and Girls Harbor, Inc., Cenikor Foundation, Inc., and Chinquapin School.
The 2013 Shell Houston Open will be played the week of March 25 – 31 at Redstone Golf Club (Tournament Course). Hunter Mahan is defending champion.
- Janzen, Mediate volunteer at Biloxi Habitat home 03/27/2015
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015
- PGA TOUR reaches new charitable plateau in early 2015 03/08/2015