Shell Houston Open donates over $2.2 million to charity
November 1, 2012
HOUSTON– Officials today announced that proceeds of $2,285,000 from the 2012 Shell Houston Open PGA TOUR event and the Houston Golf Association’s other golf-related activities has been put to work in the Houston community.
That figure represents an increase of more than $200,000 over 2011 and boosts the Houston Golf Association (HGA) charitable contribution total to nearly $57.5 million since 1974. It also marks the 19th consecutive year the contribution has been a million dollars or more.
Shell Oil Company president Marvin Odum and Houston Golf Association president Steve Timms jointly made the announcement at a luncheon at One Shell Plaza. Houston Vice Mayor Pro-Tem Ed Gonzalez also officially
proclaimed Thursday, November 1, 2012 as Shell Houston Open – A Chance for Children Day.
“We’re proud that the Shell Houston Open has gained a reputation as a powerful fund-raiser for youth development programs as well as a world class professional golf tournament,” said Odum.
HGA, a 501c (3) non-profit organization, has been promoting golf in the region since 1946. It has been funding local youth-development programs and charitable organizations since 1974.
“Our supporters – sponsors and volunteers alike – continue to challenge us to do more to positively impact the lives of young people each year,” said Timms. “We salute those stakeholders for helping us in our mission to make our community better.”
Shell Oil Company has been title sponsor of Houston’s PGA TOUR event since 1992. During that 21-year partnership with Shell, more than 93% of the total funding has been generated. Shell’s title-sponsorship agreement with the PGA TOUR and HGA runs through the 2017 event.
A part of the overall funding goes to HGA Youth Programs, which include an academic scholarship program as well as The First Tee ® of Greater Houston chapter, which reached more than 90,000 young people 2011-12, and HGA Junior Golf. More than 200 additional worthy causes and non-profit organizations also received donations or gifts-in-kind.
Shell Houston Open ongoing benefiting charities, which annually supply volunteers for the tournament, are: Acres Home Youth Association, Boys and Girls Harbor, Inc., Cenikor Foundation, Inc., and Chinquapin School.
The 2013 Shell Houston Open will be played the week of March 25 – 31 at Redstone Golf Club (Tournament Course). Hunter Mahan is defending champion.
- Fifth annual Battle of the Network Stars nets $10k for San Antonio charities 10/29/2014
- Travelers Championship announces record $1.5M raised for charity in 2014 10/27/2014
- VIDEO: Shriners patient R.J. Wren plays alongside TOUR pros in Vegas 10/27/2014
- 2014 Wells Fargo Championship distributes over $1 million to charities 10/23/2014
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR Wives take on husbands in charity wiffle ball game at The McGladrey Classic 10/22/2014
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $7.5 million generated for charity in 2014 10/16/2014
- Shriners Hospitals for Children to bring 'hospital experience' to TPC Summerlin 10/13/2014
- J.B. Holmes, Komen of Louisville raise over $200k for breast cancer fight 10/10/2014
- Kate and Justin Rose Foundation event raises over $400k for central Florida youth 10/10/2014
- Compton inspires during Frys.com Open junior clinic 10/09/2014