Phil Mickelson to attempt $1 million charity golf shot during Chargers-Broncos game on Monday, Oct. 15
October 5, 2012
SAN DIEGO- KPMG LLP, official hat sponsor of PGA TOUR star Phil Mickelson, announced today that Mickelson will attempt a $1 million “KPMG Chip4Charity” shot at halftime of the Monday Night Football game on Oct. 15, when the San Diego Chargers host the Denver Broncos at Qualcomm Stadium. At stake for the 100-yard shot is as much as $1 million for First Book, a non-profit organization which provides new books for children in need. Mickelson will be located in one end zone, aiming for a target in the other end zone, which will have a green ($50,000/20,000 books) and three rings ranging from $100,000/40,000 books (outer most ring) to $1 million/400,000 books (bulls eye center ring).
KPMG’s Family for Literacy teamed with Mickelson and First Book to create KPMG’s “Blue for Books” program in March 2012. The program encourages golf fans to purchase Mickelson’s authentic blue KPMG Tour hat at PhilsBlueHat.com. KPMG donates 100% of the net proceeds to First Book, which provides deserving children three books for each hat sold. Mickelson’s “KPMG Chip4Charity” is a marquee component of the “Blue for Books” campaign.
“This Chip4Charity is very exciting, and has the potential to provide a significant contribution to youth literacy. We created ‘Blue for Books’ as a way for Phil’s fans to wear his hat while also supporting KPMG’s Family for Literacy (KFFL),” said John Veihmeyer, Chairman and CEO of KPMG LLP, the U.S. Audit, Tax and Advisory firm. “We understand that the toughest roadblock to children’s literacy is access to books. KPMG and Phil share a passion for doing whatever we can to help children in need get off to a good start in life.”
Mickelson said, “My wife, Amy, and I, feel strongly that literacy and education are critical to the future success of today’s youth. I am extremely proud to be part of the Blue for Books campaign and it’s just great to know that for every blue hat I see out in the gallery each week, three new books are in the hands of kids who need them most.”
Joining Mickelson at the game will be the winner (to be announced Oct. 9) of the “Where Is The Blue Hat Taking You?” contest, an interactive social media extension of the “Blue for Books” program. Complete information about the “Blue for Books” program can be found by following KPMG’s Mickelson sponsorship Twitter handle (@MickelsonHat) or by visiting PhilsBlueHat.com.
KPMG’s Family for Literacy began five years ago in cooperation with First Book and is led by the spouses of KPMG partners and professionals from across the firm’s offices. To date, KPMG has delivered more than two million books to children in local communities throughout the country. In addition to raising money for KPMG’s Family for Literacy, KPMG’s extended family of volunteers, which includes partners, spouses, employees, interns and alumni, and family and friends, visit classrooms, read to children, and deliver new books to low income children—in many cases, these are the first books their families have owned.
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave teams with Callaway Golf to honor wounded heroes during DEAN & DELUCA Invitational 05/26/2016
- Texas native Ryan Palmer gets kids into the swing of things at DEAN & DELUCA Invitational 05/23/2016
- Ryan Palmer Foundation comes to DFW as Brighter Smiles Initiative 05/20/2016
- Contest winner donates $10,000 prize to United Cerebral Palsy of the Inland Empire 05/18/2016
- Constellation names Philadelphia charities to receive donations as part of 2016 SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 05/18/2016
- Joint Effort in Fort McMurray Wildfire Relief 05/18/2016
- Spieth inspires during clinic for special needs children at THE PLAYERS 05/14/2016
- David Hearn Foundation Wine Label donates to Alzheimer's Society of Canada 05/12/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives, Everbank team up for Community PedsCare event at THE PLAYERS 05/11/2016