Vince Gill and Darius Rucker headline concert on Dec. 1 in Jacksonville to benefit Birdies for the Brave
October 4, 2012
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Country Music Hall of Famer Vince Gill and CMA and GRAMMY Award winner Darius Rucker will support our military by hosting a concert for charity on Saturday, December 1, at the Times Union Center. Proceeds will benefit Birdies for the Brave, a national military outreach initiative proudly supported by the PGA TOUR dedicated to raising funds and awareness for nine military homefront charities that provide critical services to meet the specialized needs of military members, wounded veterans and their families.
One of the most popular singers in modern country music, Gill has a love for country music, top-notch songwriting, and world-class guitar playing, all wrapped in a warm tenor and a quick and easy wit. Gill achieved his big breakthrough with “When I Call Your Name,” which won the Country Music Association’s Single of the Year award. Since then, he has won 17 more CMA honors, including Song of the Year four times – making him the most-awarded artist in that category in CMA history. Since 1990, Gill has received 20 GRAMMY Awards and has sold more than 26 million albums. Gill co-hosted the CMA Awards for 12 consecutive years and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2007. In 2003, Gill was honored with the PGA of America Distinguished Service Award. In August, Gill was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He also has exciting new music out in his role as a member of the internationally- heralded superband, The Time Jumpers. Released in September on Rounder Records, the band’s new album is called The Time Jumpers. For more information, visit www.vincegill.com.
Rucker, who penned and released “Together Anything’s Possible” for the PGA TOUR, topped the charts again with the release of his sophomore country album, Charleston, SC 1966, on Capitol Records Nashville. Since its October 2010 debut, Charleston, SC 1966 has garnered two No. 1 hits with “Come Back Song” and “This.” USA Today raved, "Rucker has made a fine-sounding country album, full of singable choruses, bittersweet fiddle and steel, and guitars with bottomless twang," and Rolling Stone said, “On his Nashville debut, Rucker's rich baritone, sentimental ballads and bright hooks made him the most successful African-American country singer since Charley Pride. Rucker amps up that formula on album number two." The debut referenced is his chart-topping 2008 release, Learn To Live – an album that produced three consecutive No. 1 singles and Top 5 smash, “History In The Making.” Rucker recently completed his third solo country album due out in early 2013 with lead single, “True Believers,” at radio now, and on October 16, he will become the newest member of the Grand Ole Opry. For more information, please visit www.dariusrucker.com.
The concert is part of a Birdies for the Brave fundraising weekend at TPC Sawgrass from Friday, November 30 – Saturday, December 1, hosted by Birdies for the Brave founders Phil and Amy Mickelson, along with Jim and Cathy Justice and The Greenbrier Classic. The event will include a two-day Pro-Am featuring 54 PGA TOUR, LPGA and Champions Tour players including Mickelson, Vijay Singh, Hale Irwin, Lee Trevino and Nancy Lopez, as well as a Gala Dinner. To register or for more information on the Birdies for the Brave fundraising weekend, please visit www.galaforb4b.org.
The Times-Union Center Moran Theater is located at 300 Water Street in Jacksonville. Tickets for the concert on December 1 go on sale Friday, October 5, at 10 am. Tickets are also available at the Arena Box Office at 300 Philip Randolph Blvd; via TICKETMASTER.com; or by phone at (800) 745-3000.
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives art party, plane dedication event at FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/09/2016
- Constellation joining forces with Fiorenza’s Food for Friends to fight hunger through 2016 Constellation SENIOR PLAYERS Championship 06/08/2016
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players bring day of fun to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/08/2016
- 2016 Sony Open in Hawaii raises $1 million for local charities 06/07/2016
- PGA TOUR players take First Tee of Memphis participants inside the ropes at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/07/2016
- PHOTO: Meet the winner of the 2016 DEAN & DELUCA Invitational volunteer challenge 06/06/2016
- Enduring Hearts and Erik Compton Foundation Join Forces for Charity Golf Outing 06/06/2016
- 2016 Valspar Championship presented by BB&T announces increased charitable contributions 06/06/2016
- Jason, Ellie Day's Brighter Days Foundation to host second annual fundraiser 06/06/2016
- Alicia Malnati and Sport for Community 05/26/2016