Vince Gill and Darius Rucker headline concert on Dec. 1 in Jacksonville to benefit Birdies for the Brave
October 4, 2012
JACKSONVILLE, Fla. — Country Music Hall of Famer Vince Gill and CMA and GRAMMY Award winner Darius Rucker will support our military by hosting a concert for charity on Saturday, December 1, at the Times Union Center. Proceeds will benefit Birdies for the Brave, a national military outreach initiative proudly supported by the PGA TOUR dedicated to raising funds and awareness for nine military homefront charities that provide critical services to meet the specialized needs of military members, wounded veterans and their families.
One of the most popular singers in modern country music, Gill has a love for country music, top-notch songwriting, and world-class guitar playing, all wrapped in a warm tenor and a quick and easy wit. Gill achieved his big breakthrough with “When I Call Your Name,” which won the Country Music Association’s Single of the Year award. Since then, he has won 17 more CMA honors, including Song of the Year four times – making him the most-awarded artist in that category in CMA history. Since 1990, Gill has received 20 GRAMMY Awards and has sold more than 26 million albums. Gill co-hosted the CMA Awards for 12 consecutive years and was inducted into the Country Music Hall of Fame in 2007. In 2003, Gill was honored with the PGA of America Distinguished Service Award. In August, Gill was honored with a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. He also has exciting new music out in his role as a member of the internationally- heralded superband, The Time Jumpers. Released in September on Rounder Records, the band’s new album is called The Time Jumpers. For more information, visit www.vincegill.com.
Rucker, who penned and released “Together Anything’s Possible” for the PGA TOUR, topped the charts again with the release of his sophomore country album, Charleston, SC 1966, on Capitol Records Nashville. Since its October 2010 debut, Charleston, SC 1966 has garnered two No. 1 hits with “Come Back Song” and “This.” USA Today raved, "Rucker has made a fine-sounding country album, full of singable choruses, bittersweet fiddle and steel, and guitars with bottomless twang," and Rolling Stone said, “On his Nashville debut, Rucker's rich baritone, sentimental ballads and bright hooks made him the most successful African-American country singer since Charley Pride. Rucker amps up that formula on album number two." The debut referenced is his chart-topping 2008 release, Learn To Live – an album that produced three consecutive No. 1 singles and Top 5 smash, “History In The Making.” Rucker recently completed his third solo country album due out in early 2013 with lead single, “True Believers,” at radio now, and on October 16, he will become the newest member of the Grand Ole Opry. For more information, please visit www.dariusrucker.com.
The concert is part of a Birdies for the Brave fundraising weekend at TPC Sawgrass from Friday, November 30 – Saturday, December 1, hosted by Birdies for the Brave founders Phil and Amy Mickelson, along with Jim and Cathy Justice and The Greenbrier Classic. The event will include a two-day Pro-Am featuring 54 PGA TOUR, LPGA and Champions Tour players including Mickelson, Vijay Singh, Hale Irwin, Lee Trevino and Nancy Lopez, as well as a Gala Dinner. To register or for more information on the Birdies for the Brave fundraising weekend, please visit www.galaforb4b.org.
The Times-Union Center Moran Theater is located at 300 Water Street in Jacksonville. Tickets for the concert on December 1 go on sale Friday, October 5, at 10 am. Tickets are also available at the Arena Box Office at 300 Philip Randolph Blvd; via TICKETMASTER.com; or by phone at (800) 745-3000.
- Four Purple Heart recipients awarded mortgage-free homes during the 2015 Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2015
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes raises funds for Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 05/19/2015
- Join the Crowne Plaza Invitational At Colonial's "Always On Charity Challenge" 05/18/2015
- Doyle Glass, Leigh Colpack named Regions Tradition Volunteers of the Year 05/18/2015
- Inaugural Lincoln Awards: A Concert for Veterans & the Military Family airs on PBS May 22 05/15/2015
- CBS To Air "PGA REACH: Impacting Lives Through Golf" Special May 16 05/14/2015
- Big Break: Warrior Edition honors military veterans with television-inspired golf skills competition 05/14/2015
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour Wives collect donated items for New Foundations Home for Children 05/14/2015
- Wells Fargo Championship teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two Purple Heart recipients 05/14/2015
- Tiger Woods Foundation earns four-star Charity Navigator rating for third consecutive year 05/14/2015