Starr Campbell named Charles Schwab Cup Championship's Volunteer of the Year
October 30, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – The Charles Schwab Cup Championship, along with the Champions Tour, announced today that Starr Campbell has been named the Champions Tour Volunteer of the Tournament for her loyal service to the Charles Schwab Cup Championship at Desert Mountain.
It represents the second occasion this year that Starr has received this recognition, following her Volunteer of the Tournament award at the Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic on March 18, the same day she celebrated her birthday. She receives a second Champions Tour-logoed Waterford crystal gift and remains a finalist for the Champions Tour’s Volunteer of the Year award at the conclusion of the 2012 season. Another personal note from Champions Tour President Mike Stevens in recognition of her achievement will also be forthcoming.
At each Champions Tour event, an individual is recognized for outstanding service and dedication above and beyond the expectation of a volunteer and that person becomes a finalist for the year-end award.
Volunteers are always present, but often unnoticed, at all PGA TOUR co-sanctioned events, with approximately 1,000 people providing their time and efforts at each Champions Tour tournament. Their selfless efforts have helped the PGA TOUR and its tournaments donate more than $1.7 billion to charity over the years, including more than $118 million last year.
Ian Knight, Tournament Director of the Charles Schwab Cup Championship, along with tournament staff, volunteer leaders and Champions Tour Advance Rules/Operations Officials selected Starr as the Volunteer of the Tournament.
Starr began volunteering in 1998 and her passion for volunteering runs deep. A native of Orange, NJ, Starr grew up in Morristown, NJ and went to college at St. Lawrence University in Canton, NY, earning a BA Degree in Physical Education & Sociology. She worked in the banking industry before finally settling in El Dorado, Arkansas. She has previously held various volunteer positions at Champions Tour, PGA TOUR, USGA and PGA of America events at Pebble Beach, Sonoma, San Jose, Newport Beach, San Francisco, Colorado, Kentucky, Ohio, Reno and, last year, Bermuda. Starr also assisted World Golf Hall of Fame legend Patty Sheehan with team requirements when Sheehan captained the United States Solheim Cup team.
“Congratulations to Starr for her second Champions Tour Volunteer of the Tournament award,” said Mike Stevens, President of the Champions Tour. “Typical of the thousands of volunteers who devote their time and efforts throughout the year, Starr stands out as a fine example of the people who have become part of the fabric of the Champions Tour and have helped us to realize the success we enjoy. We thank her, and recognize her for her incredible dedication to the Charles Schwab Cup Championship.”
“We had no hesitation in selecting Starr as our Volunteer of the Tournament,” said Ian Knight, Tournament Director of the Charles Schwab Cup Championship. “She has an incredible amount of experience and is extremely reliable. We are very fortunate to have her with us here at Desert Mountain.”
- Seventh annual Stater Bros. Charities Dave Stockton Heroes Challenge tees off March 10 03/07/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship to provide free military admission 03/07/2014
- The Jake raises record $2.2 million to support the Nicklaus Children’s Health Care Foundation 03/05/2014
- VIDEO: The First Tee arrives in Chile 03/05/2014
- Young brain cancer survivor treated to a special day at the WGC-Cadillac Championship 03/05/2014
- Barkley, Bean, Bryant and Friends Celebrity Skins Game raises over $150,000 for The First Tee 03/04/2014
- The Presidents Cup announces record charitable amount of $5 million-plus 03/04/2014
- VIDEO: McIlroy to auction Bose bags for charity 03/01/2014
- PGA TOUR players visit local schools while in town for The Honda Classic 02/27/2014
- VIDEO: Rory McIlroy visits a children's cancer center in Northern Ireland 02/27/2014