THE PLAYERS unveils playroom at Wolfson Children’s Hospital
November 8, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – THE PLAYERS Championship unveiled a new playroom on the third floor of the J. Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver Tower at Wolfson Children’s Hospital today. The golf-themed playroom, co-sponsored by THE PLAYERS, provides a haven for children receiving treatment at the hospital and their families. On hand for the official ribbon cutting and celebration were PGA TOUR star Jim Furyk and wife, Tabitha, THE PLAYERS Executive Director Matt Rapp, Wolfson Hospital President Michael D. Aubin and THE PLAYERS Red Coats, who are the tournament’s volunteer leadership.
“A playroom serves as an escape, giving patients who can’t leave the hospital an opportunity to forget about doctors and treatments for a while and just be a child,” said 2012 Tournament Chairman Curtis Hazel. “We are grateful for the opportunity to give back to the community in partnership with a hospital that provides comfort and healing to families, and hope this playroom will help bring the spirit of THE PLAYERS Championship into their lives as well.”
Located on the Cardiac Intensive Care Unit floor, the playroom features golf-themed décor and interior including a putting green and a wrap-around wall mural of the famous 17th hole of THE PLAYERS Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass. Following the unveiling, guests were given a tour of the new J. Wayne and Delores Barr Weaver Tower at Wolfson.
THE PLAYERS has a long-standing benefactor relationship with the hospital. In 2011, Wolfson Children’s Hospital established THE PLAYERS Center for Child Health made possible by a leading gift of $1 million from THE PLAYERS Championship. The Jim and Tabitha Furyk Foundation also actively supports Wolfson Children’s Hospital, and Tabitha Furyk serves on the Board of Trustees for the Baptist Health Foundation.
“We are extremely fortunate to have such generous and active community partners like THE PLAYERS,” said Wolfson Children’s Hospital President Michael D. Aubin. “It is essential that the families we serve at Wolfson have every opportunity to lead as normal lives as possible, and that includes the chance to play and interact with other children in a variety of activities.”
The hospital tour by the Furyks and the unveiling of the playroom is the first in a series of events during THE PLAYERS 2012 Giving Back Month. Each year, money generated by THE PLAYERS Championship benefits more than 300 charities throughout Northeast Florida, totaling more than $46 million since the event moved to Ponte Vedra Beach in 1977. This month, THE PLAYERS once again celebrates Giving Back Month with several events designed to highlight the many organizations that receive funding from THE PLAYERS.
More information about THE PLAYERS is available at PGATOUR.COM/theplayers.
- Paul Casey Foundation committed to helping young people through sports 06/30/2015
- Compton's chance encounter with donor's aunt 06/25/2015
- DeLaet Foundation's 'Graham Slam' charity event set for July 9 06/24/2015
- Graham DeLaet wins $10K for charity from Travelers at The Umbrella at 15 ½ Challenge 06/24/2015
- VIDEO: Military moms treated to special baby shower at Travelers Championship 06/24/2015
- PGA TOUR players team up with RBC for online charity challenge 06/23/2015
- Chevron, Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic partner on contribution to Excel By 5 06/19/2015
- VIDEO: The Davis Love Foundation gives back 06/16/2015
- FedEx donates $1M to St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital 06/11/2015
- 6-year-old boy to play 100 holes for cancer fundraiser 06/11/2015