THE PLAYERS Championship announces $6.5 million generated for local charities from 2012 tournament
November 15, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.– THE PLAYERS Championship announces a total of $6.5 million was generated for local charities from the 2012 tournament, eclipsing last year’s record-breaking total of $5.9 million. The money generated by THE PLAYERS each year benefits more than 300 charities throughout Northeast Florida, totaling more than $52.8 million in charitable giving since the event moved to Ponte Vedra Beach in 1977. The substantial increase in 2012 is attributed to a growing, dedicated fan base, support from PwC, the event's Proud Partner, the tireless and selfless efforts of the tournament's volunteer force and the entire Northeast Florida community.
“It is my honor to recognize THE PLAYERS Championship, Northeast Florida community and our local charitable organizations for their commitment and dedication to improving the lives of individuals in our area, many of whom are children and youth,” said PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem. “The record-breaking funds generated over the past several years and the ever-growing number of volunteers who donate their time to THE PLAYERS and other charitable organizations are confirmation that together, anything’s possible.”
The announcement was made during an “Evening Under the Lights” hosted by Commissioner Finchem on the 17th hole of THE PLAYERS Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass. The celebration is part of a series of events during THE PLAYERS 2012 Giving Back Month designed to highlight the work of many charitable organizations in Northeast Florida. Guests at the event included the leadership of local charitable organizations, THE PLAYERS volunteer leadership (Blue and Red Coats), business leaders and local community partners.
“Giving Back Month is an opportunity to show our appreciation to our community,” said 2012 Volunteer Chairman Curtis Hazel. “Without the support of the entire Northeast Florida community, THE PLAYERS could not continue its charitable mission. Speaking as a volunteer for the past 17 years, I can tell you that the annual celebration and announcement of charitable funds generated is one of the most rewarding parts of volunteering.”
Much of the $6.5 million generated from THE PLAYERS 2012 benefits local children’s charities, in line with the event’s committed goal to generate $50 million for youth-related charities over 10 years. The event is dedicated to making a significant financial impact on local non-profits that promote youth education, health and wellness, and character development. To date, more than $11 million has been raised toward that goal.
THE PLAYERS will return to the Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass May 6-12, 2013. More information about THE PLAYERS is available at PGATOUR.COM/theplayers.
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014
- Web.com Tour announces 2014 Volunteer of the Year 12/10/2014