THE PLAYERS wraps up Giving Back Month with “Thanks for Giving” Tour
November 20, 2012
Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. – THE PLAYERS Red Coats, the volunteer leadership for the tournament, once again hit the road on Monday, for what has become a Giving Back Month tradition: the Red Coat Ride Out. This year, the Red Coats helped make Thanksgiving a little brighter for those who need it most with a “Thanks for Giving Tour,” which included stops at City Rescue Mission, Sanctuary on 8th Street and Metro Kids Connection in Downtown Jacksonville.
“The Red Coat Ride Out is one of the most exciting events for our past chairmen, who look forward to the chance to help put the money generated during the tournament into action each year,” said 2012 Volunteer Chairman Curtis Hazel. “Thanksgiving marks the perfect opportunity to share the spirit of giving with our community, particularly those who many not have the chance to celebrate Thanksgiving otherwise.”
The Red Coat Ride Out is the last in a series of events during THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month, which celebrates the funds generated by the tournament and highlights the work of many charitable organizations in Northeast Florida. The “Thanks for Giving” tour began at City Rescue Mission, where Red Coats toured the facility and made a surprise check presentation of $10,000 to the organization.
Following the presentation, the Red Coats split into two groups and visited Sanctuary on 8th Street and Metro Kids Konnection to deliver Thanksgiving food baskets to children and their families. The Red Coats and THE PLAYERS have supported all three organizations over the years.
TPC Sawgrass also participated in Giving Back Month by donating Thanksgiving dinner to feed 400 in the Armstrong community of St. Johns County. Chef Hector Gonzalez and his staff joined the United Way of St. Johns County to host a community dinner to feed farm workers and residents at the Sea Community Help Resource Center.
Last week, THE PLAYERS announced a record-breaking $6.5 million was generated for local charities from the 2012 tournament, much of which benefits local children’s charities, in line with the event’s committed goal to generate $50 million for youth-related charities over 10 years. The event is dedicated to making a significant financial impact on local non-profits that promote youth education, health and wellness, and character development. To date, more than $11 million has been raised toward that goal.
THE PLAYERS will return to the Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass May 6-12, 2013. For more information, please visit PGATOUR.COM/theplayers.
- PHOTOS: Furyk wins $10K for foundation during Jacksonville Jaguars promotion 12/19/2014
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014