GOLF 20/20 announces golf’s charitable impact of $3.9 billion
November 15, 2012
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – GOLF 20/20, the collaboration of leading organizations representing all segments of the United States golf industry, today announced golf’s charitable impact of $3.9 billion in 2011.
According to a study conducted by the National Golf Foundation, golf as a fundraising vehicle includes an estimated:
• 12,000 golf facilities(75 percent of U.S. total)
• 143,000 events
• 12 million participants
• $26,300 average per function
“Regardless of the economic climate, golf is a key driver of charitable giving in the U.S.,” says Steve Mona, CEO of the World Golf Foundation, administrator of GOLF 20/20. “As a major focus of the golf industry, working with organizers of philanthropic events helps improvemillions of lives.”
Beneficiaries include health, youth, education, environmental and cultural groups nationally, regionally and locally.
More than 85 percent of organizations conducting golf events find them important because, in addition to raising significant funds, they are easy to organize and provide exposure and networking opportunities among supporters.
The charitable impact findings are based on qualitative callsand data collection from a coast-to-coast sampling of public and private golf facilities, and non-profit organizations producing golf events.
Donations, including those from professional golf tournaments, are a significant part of the golf industry, which is comparable in size to the motion picture and video industries.
To join the social media conversation, visit http://twitter.wearegolf.org or use #iamgolf.
For more information about GOLF 20/20: www.golf2020.com
- Vi at Silverstone holds “Putt for Charity” to promote Charles Schwab Cup Championship 10/21/2016
- PGA TOUR announces top tournament winners in the 2016 PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 10/20/2016
- Shaw Charity Classic shatters own record for charitable giving on PGA TOUR Champions 10/20/2016
- Travelers Championship generates a record $2.8 million for charity 10/18/2016
- Golf & Health Project launches to highlight how golf can benefit all 10/13/2016
- David Hearn Foundation donates $20,000 to Alzheimer Society of Canada 10/13/2016
- CHARMED Foundation delivers $25,000 donation to Tom Pernice Jr. Charities 10/10/2016
- Drew Charter School makes positive impact on East Lake 09/27/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016