GOLF 20/20 announces golf’s charitable impact of $3.9 billion
November 15, 2012
ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. – GOLF 20/20, the collaboration of leading organizations representing all segments of the United States golf industry, today announced golf’s charitable impact of $3.9 billion in 2011.
According to a study conducted by the National Golf Foundation, golf as a fundraising vehicle includes an estimated:
• 12,000 golf facilities(75 percent of U.S. total)
• 143,000 events
• 12 million participants
• $26,300 average per function
“Regardless of the economic climate, golf is a key driver of charitable giving in the U.S.,” says Steve Mona, CEO of the World Golf Foundation, administrator of GOLF 20/20. “As a major focus of the golf industry, working with organizers of philanthropic events helps improvemillions of lives.”
Beneficiaries include health, youth, education, environmental and cultural groups nationally, regionally and locally.
More than 85 percent of organizations conducting golf events find them important because, in addition to raising significant funds, they are easy to organize and provide exposure and networking opportunities among supporters.
The charitable impact findings are based on qualitative callsand data collection from a coast-to-coast sampling of public and private golf facilities, and non-profit organizations producing golf events.
Donations, including those from professional golf tournaments, are a significant part of the golf industry, which is comparable in size to the motion picture and video industries.
To join the social media conversation, visit http://twitter.wearegolf.org or use #iamgolf.
For more information about GOLF 20/20: www.golf2020.com
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- “84 for 84” effort will benefit East Lake Foundation 09/22/2016
- Valspar Championship donates second Habitat For Humanity house 09/20/2016
- Henderson State unveils Ken Duke golf facility 09/19/2016
- PGA TOUR players give $100,000 to assist with flood relief 09/16/2016
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth's ace nets $100,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 09/15/2016
- Team Rose provides unique caddy experience to fallen hero's son during BMW Championship 09/14/2016
- Winner of Deutsche Bank Championship's volunteer challenge announced 09/07/2016
- Phil Mickelson, Stacy Lewis support literacy through KPMG's 'Blue for Books' program 09/01/2016