THE PLAYERS 2012 raises nearly $68,000 for 26.2 with Donna Foundation
May 16, 2012
By PGA TOUR Staff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, FL. – On the heels of one of the most successful and exciting PLAYERS Championships in history, THE PLAYERS announced that $67,685 was raised for breast cancer research and care through the event’s partnership with the 26.2 with Donna Foundation, a local charitable organization that raises funds for ground-breaking breast cancer research at Mayo Clinic and women living with breast cancer through The Donna Foundation.
A sold out crowd of 1,280 runners kicked off THE PLAYERS week on May 5 at THE PLAYERS 5K with Donna. For the first time, participants began at the TPC Sawgrass Clubhouse and continued along the cart paths through the back nine holes, passing the world-famous island green at 17 just days before the start of the tournament. In years past, the Mother’s Day race was held on Atlantic Beach.
The 5K event raised $30,000 for the 26.2 with Donna Foundation, and race registrations were also tied to THE PLAYERS Birdies for Charity program, raising an additional $1,500 in bonus money for the organization. To date, THE PLAYERS 5K with Donna series has raised more than $121,000 for the 26.2 with Donna Foundation.
Race registration included a grounds ticket to Championship Sunday’s “Pink Out” at THE PLAYERS on May 13. Players, caddies, sponsors and fans were encouraged to wear pink to TPC Sawgrass in support of the 26.2 with Donna Foundation, which was THE PLAYERS “Charity of the Day” for the final round. THE PLAYERS also carried the “Pink Out” theme throughout the course with pink flowers included in the landscape and a “Pink Out”-themed Mother’s Day pin for mothers in attendance. For every fan on Sunday, THE PLAYERS donated $1 to the 26.2 with Donna Foundation. In addition, THE PLAYERS 5K with Donna race participants had access to “The Courtyard” on Sunday, where 26.2 percent of concessions were also donated to the 26.2 with Donna Foundation.
Attendance and The Courtyard concession sales during Sunday’s “Pink Out” generated a $36,185 donation to the 26.2 with Donna Foundation.
“It was amazing to see THE PLAYERS turn pink for Mother’s Day,” said 26.2 with Donna Founder Donna Deegan. “I am so grateful and look forward to building on the momentum of this year’s success and raising more funds to finish breast cancer in partnership with the PGA TOUR.”
More information about THE PLAYERS is available at PGATOUR.COM/theplayers.
- Jacobsen honored with GWAA's Charlie Bartlett award 02/17/2017
- 2016 RSM Classic raises more than $2.2 million for charity 02/17/2017
- Sebastian Velona inspires with 'healing hugs' at the Genesis Open 02/16/2017
- Meet the 2017 Farmers Insurance Open winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 02/15/2017
- Waste Management Phoenix Open 'Green Out' raises $100K for nonprofit environmental organizations 02/07/2017
- Patrick Reed AJGA Junior Championship honored with three awards 02/06/2017
- Marc and Audrey Leishman committed to raising sepsis awareness 02/06/2017
- Jimmy Walker Challenge earns AJGA's 2016 Newcomer Award 02/03/2017
- CDW launches “Tech Fore!” charitable giving program 02/02/2017
- BMW Charity Pro-Am announces 2017 philanthropic partners 01/30/2017