Shell Houston Open's Birdies for Charity Program Generates Over $230,000
May 18, 2012
HUMBLE, Texas-- Houston Golf Association (HGA) president/CEO Steve Timms today announced that the Shell Houston Open Birdies for Charity program generated more than $230,000 for 45 local non-profit agencies, bringing the total to over $5.9 million since 1999.
"These local worthy causes receive 100 per cent of the collected pledges," said Timms.
The participating 45 non-profit organizations solicited pledges from either individuals or businesses to be based on the number of birdies made at Houston's PGA TOUR event or a flat donation of $20 or more. Pledges could be for as little as a penny per birdie. Guesses topped 13,000 this year on the birdie count for the Shell Houston Open, won by Hunter Mahan at Redstone Golf Club - Tournament Course in April. A total of 55 finalists correctly guessed that 1,750 birdies would be made during the pro-am and four rounds of competition.
On Thursday each finalist randomly drew a number, then selected a key. Sherri Fletcher, who made a pledge through Communities in Schools Brazoria County, pulled the lucky key and won the grand prize of a 2012 Toyota Camry donated by Gulf States Toyota to the HGA for the program.
HGA underwrites the cost of the collateral material for Birdies for Charity, including but not limited to the pledge forms, flyers and HGA staff administration of a password-protected web site.
"Toyota is proud to be the official car of the Shell Houston Open which allows us to part of HGA's community service mission," said Billy Kimbrough, Toyota Houston Area General Manager.
"This is the first of many charitable endeavors this year for the Houston Golf Association and the Shell Houston Open," said Timms. Houston Golf Association, through the Shell Houston Open and other golf-related activities has generated more than $55.2 million for local charity since 1974.
- Shaw Communications announces $1 million donation to first official charity partner of Shaw Charity Classic 06/18/2013
- Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes donates $80,000 to Birdies for the Brave homefront groups 06/14/2013
- Marathon of Miracles declares June 'National Golf To End Cancer Month' 06/14/2013
- Nancy Lopez to host free golf clinic in conjunction with Dick's Sporting Goods Open 06/13/2013
- Celebrities come out in support of Children’s of Alabama during Regions Tradition 06/13/2013
- PGA TOUR players bring their game to St. Jude Children's Research Hospital 06/06/2013
- VIDEO: THE PLAYERS: A week of giving back 06/06/2013
- Operation Purple Eagle Plane lands at the FedEx St. Jude Classic 06/05/2013
- Regions Tradition names Rick Alvis Volunteer of the Year 06/03/2013
- Principal Charity Classic donates specialized bike to physically-challenged boy 05/31/2013