The Principal Charity Classic Sets the Wheels in Motion for a Special Little Girl
May 30, 2012
DES MOINES, Iowa-- Kids love the freedom of riding bikes. But for many physically challenged kids, that simple joy isn’t possible on traditional bicycles. That’s why The Principal Charity Classic raised funds to help Variety—The Children’s Charity of Des Moines buy eight specialized bikes, which are custom-made for kids with special needs. Today, Champions Tour professionals Brad Bryant and Fuzzy Zoeller presented one of the new bikes to its excited owner, 11-year-old Gabby Dodd of Waukee, Iowa.
Gabby was born with a rare chromosome disorder. She has received physical therapy for several years and had a spinal fusion a few months ago. Riding a bike has been one of her goals. The new bike will help Gabby achieve that goal—while also helping her build leg muscle and enjoy more time outside with her family.
“Clearly, The Principal Charity Classic is about more than golf. It’s also about helping kids right here in central Iowa,” said Mary O’Keefe, senior vice president, the Principal Financial Group®, and chair of The Principal Charity Classic board of directors. “Over the last five years, The Principal Charity Classic has donated more than $3 million to the FORE Our Kids charities and other organizations that improve the lives of children like Gabby in central Iowa.”
“As a player, it’s great to know that The Principal Charity Classic gives back so generously to the community,” said Bryant. “I’m very happy that I got the opportunity to present this bike to Gabby. It will be one of the highlights of my time here.”
The Principal Charity Classic raised funds through private donors to purchase the specialized bikes.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013