The Principal Charity Classic Sets the Wheels in Motion for a Special Little Girl
May 30, 2012
DES MOINES, Iowa-- Kids love the freedom of riding bikes. But for many physically challenged kids, that simple joy isn’t possible on traditional bicycles. That’s why The Principal Charity Classic raised funds to help Variety—The Children’s Charity of Des Moines buy eight specialized bikes, which are custom-made for kids with special needs. Today, Champions Tour professionals Brad Bryant and Fuzzy Zoeller presented one of the new bikes to its excited owner, 11-year-old Gabby Dodd of Waukee, Iowa.
Gabby was born with a rare chromosome disorder. She has received physical therapy for several years and had a spinal fusion a few months ago. Riding a bike has been one of her goals. The new bike will help Gabby achieve that goal—while also helping her build leg muscle and enjoy more time outside with her family.
“Clearly, The Principal Charity Classic is about more than golf. It’s also about helping kids right here in central Iowa,” said Mary O’Keefe, senior vice president, the Principal Financial Group®, and chair of The Principal Charity Classic board of directors. “Over the last five years, The Principal Charity Classic has donated more than $3 million to the FORE Our Kids charities and other organizations that improve the lives of children like Gabby in central Iowa.”
“As a player, it’s great to know that The Principal Charity Classic gives back so generously to the community,” said Bryant. “I’m very happy that I got the opportunity to present this bike to Gabby. It will be one of the highlights of my time here.”
The Principal Charity Classic raised funds through private donors to purchase the specialized bikes.
- Tiger Woods, Rickie Flower headline sixth annual Notah Begay III Challenge 05/20/2013
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013