Phil and Amy Mickelson Announce Fundraiser Benefiting Birdies for the Brave
May 8, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.-- Veterans and military members have long been held in high regard by World Golf Hall of Famer and Birdies for the Brave founder Phil Mickelson and his wife, Amy. Along with Jim and Cathy Justice and The Greenbrier Classic, the Mickelsons announced today that they will host a two-day fundraising event that will include a Pro-Am, Gala Dinner and a concert featuring A-list country music stars to raise funds for Birdies for the Brave. The event will take place at TPC Sawgrass on Friday, November 30, and Saturday, December 1.
“Amy and I are thrilled to join with the Justices and The Greenbrier Classic to host what we think will be a spectacular event at TPC Sawgrass for a very worthy cause,” said Mickelson. “Our military men and women and their families have made enormous sacrifices for all of us, and we feel fortunate to be able to use this event to show our gratitude.”
“West Virginia has always been at the forefront in providing its sons and daughters for the defense of our country, and that is why Cathy and I are so proud to host such an important event with Phil and Amy,” said Jim Justice. “Birdies for the Brave provides an incredible opportunity for us to say thank you to all of the men and women who have served our great country.”
"We are able to enjoy the gifts of our personal lives in a free country because of the sacrifices made by many who have come before us, and the sacrifices that continue to be made today by our men and women in uniform and their families," said David Pillsbury, president of PGA TOUR Golf Course Properties and EVP, Championship Management. “The Mickelsons, Birdies for the Brave, Jim and Cathy Justice and The Greenbrier Classic, the PGA TOUR and everyone involved are committed to making this event an unprecedented showing of thanks and support to the members of our Armed Forces and their families."
Fifty-four PGA TOUR, LPGA and Champions Tour professionals including Vijay Singh, Hale Irwin, Lee Trevino and Nancy Lopez are expected to play in the Pro-Am. Amateur participants will play with a professional during two days of competition on two prestigious golf courses, THE PLAYERS Stadium Course and Dye's Valley Course at TPC Sawgrass. Vince Gill is already committed for the concert scheduled for Saturday, December 1, at Jacksonville Veterans Memorial Arena, with additional artists scheduled to be announced in the coming weeks.
Golf Channel will cover the Pro-Am, host live interviews during its Morning Drive program from the event both mornings, and create a one-hour special to be aired at a later date. To register and to find additional information about the event, please visit the website at www.galaforb4b.org.
- MD Anderson educating public and professionals at Insperity Invitational 05/03/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives support "Stuff a Caddy for Kids" during United Leasing Championship 04/30/2015
- Wells Fargo donates $1 million to The First Tee 04/27/2015
- VIDEO: Jacksonville Jaguars mascot wins THE PLAYERS 17th hole charity challenge in costume 04/16/2015
- RBC Heritage teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor Lowcountry wounded war heroes 04/15/2015
- VIDEO: Ben Crane teaches golf skills to Special Olympics athletes during RBC Heritage 04/15/2015
- Spend a day one-one-one and support charity with reigning U.S. Open champ Martin Kaymer at the 2015 Wells Fargo Championship 04/14/2015
- Ernie Els partners with BirdieBox to introduce Els for Autism Box 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Els for Autism update 04/14/2015
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth draws inspiration from his sister Ellie 04/14/2015