J.B. Holmes Inspires Young Family
May 15, 2012
By By Gene Wojciechowski, ESPN.com
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. -- If you need someone to root for in this week's PLAYERS Championship, J.B. Holmes would be a nice place to start. Then again, I'm a sucker for guys who keep a chunk of their surgically removed skull in a closet at home.
Holmes isn't one of the favorites to win the Players. In fact, he's barely a longshot.
Holmes is ranked 111th in the world. His last tour victory came in 2008. He's fresh from a final-round 77 on Sunday at the Wells Fargo Championship.
Mr. Momentum, he isn't.
But you root for him not because of his form, but because of his kindness. And because of that piece of skull.
- VIDEO: Players make a special hospital visit during Allianz Championship 02/26/2015
- Jonas Blixt makes a young cancer survivor's dream come true 02/25/2015
- Fifth annual Els for Autism Golf Challenge kicks off 02/25/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence to welcome first students in August 02/25/2015
- PHOTOS: Mahan teams with sponsor to raise funds for NADA Charitable Foundation 02/24/2015
- Marco Dawson nets $10K for The First Tee of Lakeland with FOX Sports Shot for Charity win at Daytona 02/19/2015
- Web.com Tour Championship, City of Jacksonville donate $408K to The First Tee 02/18/2015
- Greg and Nicole Chalmers launch autism support organization 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Tim Lang 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Katie Horsford 02/13/2015