Golfers Combine to Play 3,100 Holes at First Tee Benefit
May 17, 2012
FORT WORTH, Texas—Local golfers played in a marathon golf tournament on May 11 at Rockwood Golf Course to benefit the programs of The First Tee of Fort Worth. Within the 12-hour time span, participants played more than 3,100 holes of non-stop golf and raised more than $81,000 from their supporters. The winning player played 207 holes.
Golfers were encouraged throughout the day with a personal visit from LPGA player Angela Stanford and Jenny Gleason of the LPGA Futures Tour.
“It’s exciting to have the support of players like Angela and Jenny to serve as ambassadors for the game on such a personal level. Their encouragement served as a great motivator for our players,” said Kevin Long, executive director for The First Tee of Fort Worth.
The money raised through the annual marathon goes toward programming and outreach initiatives of The First Tee of Fort Worth. Weekly programming is conducted at The Ben Hogan Learning Center at Rockwood Golf Course, where youth ages 5-18 participate in classes that integrate the skills and disciplines of golf with nine character-building life values. Outreach programs include The First Tee National School Program, which brings the same golf instruction and character education into local elementary schools free of charge. Recently, The First Tee launched The First Tee Nine Healthy Habits program which add healthy lifestyle choices into the current program curriculum.
The marathon style tournament is an annual event where participants receive pledges based on the number of holes they play. The average number of holes played is 125 per player or team. For this year’s marathon, the Angela Stanford Foundation served as the title sponsor.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013