Fuzzy’s Pro-Am Partner Ecstatic with Golden Opportunity at Insperity Championship
May 3, 2012
By By Chris Dornan, Special to Together.PGATOUR.com
THE WOODLANDS, Texas-- When John Pierrel was forced to put his golf clubs in the garage four months ago to have knee surgery, little did the recreational player know the first time he’d tee it up again would be with one of the game’s greatest personalities and competitors.
Pierrel, of Conroe, TX, won the Insperity Championship’s online and social media contest, “Fuzzy Needs a Fourth,” giving him the opportunity to play with Fuzzy Zoeller in Wednesday’s Woodforest National Bank Pro-Am at The Woodlands Country Club Tournament Course.
“I was the happiest guy in Houston when I found out I won a free round to play with Fuzzy,” said Pierrel, who retired last year after dedicating 37 years of his life working in the oil and gas industry.
In addition to playing golf with the 10-time winner on the PGA TOUR, including the 1979 Masters and 1984 U.S. Open, Pierrel jumped at the chance to attend the tournament Pairings Party on Tuesday, and received a Pro-Am gift package as well as accommodation for two nights at a local tournament hotel. The package was valued at $5,000.
“When Bryan (Naugle, Executive Director of the Insperity Championship) came to me with this contest, I thought it was a heck of an idea,” said Zoeller, who has two Champions Tour victories, including the 2002 Senior PGA Championship. “I always like new ideas and nobody has ever done that before. I am glad it worked out. We had a great time today.”
Commonly heard whistling his way down the fairways, the tunes in Fuzzy’s foursome on this memorable outing were blaring from the stereo in the back of his golf cart while he and Pierrel laughed their way up the 18th fairway.
“Having just had his knee replaced, John did really well today and I was very impressed,” said Zoeller, who only had one tip for the golf fanatic. “I told him not to hit it in the water. Those balls don’t float!”
The tips, music and company made for a relaxed atmosphere which unquestionably locked up another member in the colorful Zoeller’s worldwide following of “Fuzzy Fans.”
“We had great company and I love golf. It doesn’t get much better than this,” said Pierrel. “It was really a special day for me. I thank Insperity, and others, who allowed this to happen. It was a great time and I will never forget it.”
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013