The First Tee Campaign for 10 Million Young People Makes Progress
May 9, 2012
Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. (May 9, 2012) – The First Tee has received $72.8 million in pledges and gifts toward The First Tee Campaign for 10 Million Young People, it was announced today by PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem, who is co-chair of the Campaign, and Joe Louis Barrow, Jr., chief executive of The First Tee.
“This is wonderful news, which can be attributed to the hard work and generosity of many individuals,” said Commissioner Finchem. “While great progress has been made, there is yet more work ahead as we focus on reaching our goal of $100 million by the end of 2012.”
Launched in July 2011 at the Nature Valley First Tee Open in Pebble Beach, The First Tee Campaign for 10 Million Young People is an ambitious effort to raise $100 million by the end of 2012, which will allow The First Tee to expand its programs at chapters, in schools and at other youth-serving locations, with the goal of reaching 10 million additional young people between 2011 and 2017.
Barrow added, “The Campaign is significant for many reasons as it will give us the ability to administer a matching grant program for The First Tee chapters—helping build local capacity—as well as important initiatives including growing the National School Program, research and curriculum enhancements.”
Individuals, corporations and foundations have become Trustees, committing $1 million to the youth development organization. Donations were also raised through “Tee It Up for The First Tee,” a program whereby clubs from the TPC Network, ClubCorp and Heritage Golf Group donated tee time inventory in the month of April to benefit The FirstTee.
The First Tee reaches young people on more than 700 golf courses, at more than 4,700 elementary schools in 650 school districts and 120 military installations.
Further updates will be announced between now and the conclusion of the Campaign.
A list of Trustees and Corporate Partners can be found on www.thefirsttee.org. For more information about The First Tee Campaign for 10 Million Young People, visit www.thefirsttee.org/campaign.
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 12/10/2013
- Words with Friends competition leads to $10,000 First Tee donation 12/09/2013
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013