The First Tee Campaign for 10 Million Young People Makes Progress
May 9, 2012
Ponte Vedra Beach, Fla. (May 9, 2012) – The First Tee has received $72.8 million in pledges and gifts toward The First Tee Campaign for 10 Million Young People, it was announced today by PGA TOUR Commissioner Tim Finchem, who is co-chair of the Campaign, and Joe Louis Barrow, Jr., chief executive of The First Tee.
“This is wonderful news, which can be attributed to the hard work and generosity of many individuals,” said Commissioner Finchem. “While great progress has been made, there is yet more work ahead as we focus on reaching our goal of $100 million by the end of 2012.”
Launched in July 2011 at the Nature Valley First Tee Open in Pebble Beach, The First Tee Campaign for 10 Million Young People is an ambitious effort to raise $100 million by the end of 2012, which will allow The First Tee to expand its programs at chapters, in schools and at other youth-serving locations, with the goal of reaching 10 million additional young people between 2011 and 2017.
Barrow added, “The Campaign is significant for many reasons as it will give us the ability to administer a matching grant program for The First Tee chapters—helping build local capacity—as well as important initiatives including growing the National School Program, research and curriculum enhancements.”
Individuals, corporations and foundations have become Trustees, committing $1 million to the youth development organization. Donations were also raised through “Tee It Up for The First Tee,” a program whereby clubs from the TPC Network, ClubCorp and Heritage Golf Group donated tee time inventory in the month of April to benefit The FirstTee.
The First Tee reaches young people on more than 700 golf courses, at more than 4,700 elementary schools in 650 school districts and 120 military installations.
Further updates will be announced between now and the conclusion of the Campaign.
A list of Trustees and Corporate Partners can be found on www.thefirsttee.org. For more information about The First Tee Campaign for 10 Million Young People, visit www.thefirsttee.org/campaign.
- Tiger Woods, Rickie Flower headline sixth annual Notah Begay III Challenge 05/20/2013
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013