Mickelson's Player of the Month Bonus Goes to a Charity Close to Home
March 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. and PARSIPPANY, N.J. – PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Phil Mickelson has been voted February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation. Founded in 2004, the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation supports a variety of youth and family initiatives through involvement with Start Smart and the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Mickelson received 42 percent of the votes and outpolled Kyle Stanley, Bill Haas and Hunter Mahan. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of February.
"It's an honor to be selected as the Player of the Month for February," said Mickelson. “The PGA TOUR has wonderful partners, and Amy and I are appreciative of the opportunity to help our foundation.”
In the second week of February, Mickelson earned his 40th career PGA TOUR victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, posting a final-round 64 to come from six strokes back on the final day to win. His 40 TOUR victories rank ninth all-time. One week later, Mickelson finished second in a playoff to Bill Haas at the Northern Trust Open to move inside the top five on the season-long FedExCup points list.
“Phil Mickelson’s extra effort on the course in February exemplifies the Avis ‘We try harder’ spirit,” said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, Avis Budget Group. “It’s only fitting that the fans voted him February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month. We congratulate Phil and are proud to give back to charity in his honor.”
For more information or to vote for the PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis, visit www.pgatour.com.
- J.B. Holmes to appear in Chiari Malformation awareness comic book 12/18/2014
- WGC-Cadillac Championship names United Way of Miami-Dade as official charity 12/18/2014
- 2014 Brian Gay Invitational nets $805k for Orlando children's hospital 12/18/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship names 2015 charity recipients 12/17/2014
- Quicken Loans helps Birdies for the Brave expand access to military tickets 12/16/2014
- DICK'S Sporting Goods Open announces $1.1M raised for charity in 2014 12/15/2014
- Furyk Foundation hosts third annual 'Hope for the Holidays' 12/12/2014
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $57,500 donation from Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 12/11/2014
- Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial announces $9M raised for charity in 2014 12/10/2014
- Web.com Tour announces 2014 Volunteer of the Year 12/10/2014