Mickelson's Player of the Month Bonus Goes to a Charity Close to Home
March 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. and PARSIPPANY, N.J. – PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Phil Mickelson has been voted February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation. Founded in 2004, the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation supports a variety of youth and family initiatives through involvement with Start Smart and the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Mickelson received 42 percent of the votes and outpolled Kyle Stanley, Bill Haas and Hunter Mahan. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of February.
"It's an honor to be selected as the Player of the Month for February," said Mickelson. “The PGA TOUR has wonderful partners, and Amy and I are appreciative of the opportunity to help our foundation.”
In the second week of February, Mickelson earned his 40th career PGA TOUR victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, posting a final-round 64 to come from six strokes back on the final day to win. His 40 TOUR victories rank ninth all-time. One week later, Mickelson finished second in a playoff to Bill Haas at the Northern Trust Open to move inside the top five on the season-long FedExCup points list.
“Phil Mickelson’s extra effort on the course in February exemplifies the Avis ‘We try harder’ spirit,” said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, Avis Budget Group. “It’s only fitting that the fans voted him February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month. We congratulate Phil and are proud to give back to charity in his honor.”
For more information or to vote for the PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis, visit www.pgatour.com.
- Vi at Silverstone holds “Putt for Charity” to promote Charles Schwab Cup Championship 10/21/2016
- PGA TOUR announces top tournament winners in the 2016 PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 10/20/2016
- Shaw Charity Classic shatters own record for charitable giving on PGA TOUR Champions 10/20/2016
- Travelers Championship generates a record $2.8 million for charity 10/18/2016
- Golf & Health Project launches to highlight how golf can benefit all 10/13/2016
- David Hearn Foundation donates $20,000 to Alzheimer Society of Canada 10/13/2016
- CHARMED Foundation delivers $25,000 donation to Tom Pernice Jr. Charities 10/10/2016
- Drew Charter School makes positive impact on East Lake 09/27/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016