Mickelson's Player of the Month Bonus Goes to a Charity Close to Home
March 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. and PARSIPPANY, N.J. – PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Phil Mickelson has been voted February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation. Founded in 2004, the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation supports a variety of youth and family initiatives through involvement with Start Smart and the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Mickelson received 42 percent of the votes and outpolled Kyle Stanley, Bill Haas and Hunter Mahan. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of February.
"It's an honor to be selected as the Player of the Month for February," said Mickelson. “The PGA TOUR has wonderful partners, and Amy and I are appreciative of the opportunity to help our foundation.”
In the second week of February, Mickelson earned his 40th career PGA TOUR victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, posting a final-round 64 to come from six strokes back on the final day to win. His 40 TOUR victories rank ninth all-time. One week later, Mickelson finished second in a playoff to Bill Haas at the Northern Trust Open to move inside the top five on the season-long FedExCup points list.
“Phil Mickelson’s extra effort on the course in February exemplifies the Avis ‘We try harder’ spirit,” said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, Avis Budget Group. “It’s only fitting that the fans voted him February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month. We congratulate Phil and are proud to give back to charity in his honor.”
For more information or to vote for the PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis, visit www.pgatour.com.
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014
- Morgan Hoffmann walks his way to top-10 finish, raises additional $7.5K for charity 08/28/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Justin Leonard finds a charity to come first before golf 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014
- Third annual Keegan Bradley Charity Classic benefits cancer, opiate addiction research 08/26/2014
- The Principal Charity Classic generates $1.3 million for charity in 2014 08/26/2014
- PGA TOUR Wives host murder mystery event benefitting New Jersey children in need 08/22/2014
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield teams with Morgan Hoffmann on The Barclays walking challenge 08/21/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship distributes over $170,000 to local charities 08/21/2014