Mickelson's Player of the Month Bonus Goes to a Charity Close to Home
March 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. and PARSIPPANY, N.J. – PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Phil Mickelson has been voted February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation. Founded in 2004, the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation supports a variety of youth and family initiatives through involvement with Start Smart and the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Mickelson received 42 percent of the votes and outpolled Kyle Stanley, Bill Haas and Hunter Mahan. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of February.
"It's an honor to be selected as the Player of the Month for February," said Mickelson. “The PGA TOUR has wonderful partners, and Amy and I are appreciative of the opportunity to help our foundation.”
In the second week of February, Mickelson earned his 40th career PGA TOUR victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, posting a final-round 64 to come from six strokes back on the final day to win. His 40 TOUR victories rank ninth all-time. One week later, Mickelson finished second in a playoff to Bill Haas at the Northern Trust Open to move inside the top five on the season-long FedExCup points list.
“Phil Mickelson’s extra effort on the course in February exemplifies the Avis ‘We try harder’ spirit,” said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, Avis Budget Group. “It’s only fitting that the fans voted him February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month. We congratulate Phil and are proud to give back to charity in his honor.”
For more information or to vote for the PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis, visit www.pgatour.com.
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 12/10/2013
- Words with Friends competition leads to $10,000 First Tee donation 12/09/2013
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013