Mickelson's Player of the Month Bonus Goes to a Charity Close to Home
March 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. and PARSIPPANY, N.J. – PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Phil Mickelson has been voted February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation. Founded in 2004, the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation supports a variety of youth and family initiatives through involvement with Start Smart and the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Mickelson received 42 percent of the votes and outpolled Kyle Stanley, Bill Haas and Hunter Mahan. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of February.
"It's an honor to be selected as the Player of the Month for February," said Mickelson. “The PGA TOUR has wonderful partners, and Amy and I are appreciative of the opportunity to help our foundation.”
In the second week of February, Mickelson earned his 40th career PGA TOUR victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, posting a final-round 64 to come from six strokes back on the final day to win. His 40 TOUR victories rank ninth all-time. One week later, Mickelson finished second in a playoff to Bill Haas at the Northern Trust Open to move inside the top five on the season-long FedExCup points list.
“Phil Mickelson’s extra effort on the course in February exemplifies the Avis ‘We try harder’ spirit,” said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, Avis Budget Group. “It’s only fitting that the fans voted him February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month. We congratulate Phil and are proud to give back to charity in his honor.”
For more information or to vote for the PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis, visit www.pgatour.com.
- Price Cutter Charity Championship gifts more than $905,000 to Missouri children’s charities 11/30/2016
- The Mission Continues: 10-Years of Birdies for the Brave 11/28/2016
- PGA TOUR distributes 300 Thanksgiving baskets to Northeast Florida families 11/18/2016
- Record-setting charitable donation announced for 10th playing of the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 11/17/2016
- Mentoring Matters: Golfing Turns Into Life Lessons At First Tee Miami 11/16/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives Wiffle Ball Classic at The RSM Classic raises $35,000 11/16/2016
- Memorial Tournament presented by Nationwide donates $1,676,500 to Nationwide Children’s Hospital 11/15/2016
- OHL Mayakoba Classic donates 100 wheelchairs in Mexico 11/12/2016
- THE PLAYERS announces $8.5 million raised for charity in 2016 11/03/2016
- John Deere Classic announces $10.5 million raised for nearly 500 charities in 2016 11/03/2016