Mickelson's Player of the Month Bonus Goes to a Charity Close to Home
March 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. and PARSIPPANY, N.J. – PGA TOUR and Avis Car Rental announced today that Phil Mickelson has been voted February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis. As the official rental car company of the PGA TOUR, Avis will make a $50,000 contribution to the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation. Founded in 2004, the Phil and Amy Mickelson Foundation supports a variety of youth and family initiatives through involvement with Start Smart and the Mickelson ExxonMobil Teachers Academy.
In a fan decision on PGATOUR.COM, Mickelson received 42 percent of the votes and outpolled Kyle Stanley, Bill Haas and Hunter Mahan. The four were nominated by a panel of national media for their performances during the month of February.
"It's an honor to be selected as the Player of the Month for February," said Mickelson. “The PGA TOUR has wonderful partners, and Amy and I are appreciative of the opportunity to help our foundation.”
In the second week of February, Mickelson earned his 40th career PGA TOUR victory at the AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am, posting a final-round 64 to come from six strokes back on the final day to win. His 40 TOUR victories rank ninth all-time. One week later, Mickelson finished second in a playoff to Bill Haas at the Northern Trust Open to move inside the top five on the season-long FedExCup points list.
“Phil Mickelson’s extra effort on the course in February exemplifies the Avis ‘We try harder’ spirit,” said Jeannine Haas, chief marketing officer, Avis Budget Group. “It’s only fitting that the fans voted him February’s PGA TOUR Player of the Month. We congratulate Phil and are proud to give back to charity in his honor.”
For more information or to vote for the PGA TOUR Player of the Month presented by Avis, visit www.pgatour.com.
- Waste Management Phoenix Open sets new charity record with over $9 million raised in 2015 10/09/2015
- 2015 Travelers Championship generates more than $1.56 million for charity 10/08/2015
- 23rd annual Jay Sigel Golf Invitational at Aronmink benefits cancer research 10/02/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: 2015 TOUR Championship Winner 10/02/2015
- Chitimacha Louisiana Open awards $180,000 to local charities 09/29/2015
- Florida family receives keys to Valspar Championship Habitat for Humanity home 09/28/2015
- Mark Wilson Charity Classic nets $170K for Blessings in a Backpack 09/28/2015
- Callaway Golf hosts 100th Warrior Club Fitting during TOUR Championship 09/25/2015
- Web.com Tour Wives give back at the Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship 09/24/2015
- FedExCup Defining Moments: TOUR Championship 09/24/2015