Wounded Warriors of the Lowcountry Make a Difference
June 15, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla.—Representatives from the Lowcountry Foundation for Wounded Military Heroes visited TPC Sawgrass today to present Birdies for the Brave with a check for $65,000. The donation is the result of the second annual golf tournament hosted by the group at Hampton Hall in Bluffton, S.C. The funds will directly benefit Operation Homefront, Military Warriors Support Foundation and Wounded Warrior Project for use in the Low Country area of South Carolina.
A life-long golf fan and charitable supporter, Russ Spicer decided to spearhead this effort after seeing the growing need for funding for wounded warriors returning from combat. This year, Spicer enlisted the help of wounded warrior Todd Nelson, who served as grand marshal. The event featured a military jump team landing on the 18th fairway at Hampton Hall with an oversized American Flag in tow.
“Our courageous American heroes deserve every little thing we can possible do for them. We hope many other courses around the country will join us and support Birdies for the Brave.” said Spicer.
Representatives of Wounded Warriors of the Low Country who attended the check presentation included Spicer, Jim Miller, Dennis Cavner, Pete Doukas, Doug Myers, George Ragland and Greg Tull.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013