Ricky Barnes Collects $10,000 for Charity at The Travelers Championship
June 20, 2012
CROMWELL, Conn.,-- 22 of 105 players participating in a practice round Tuesday for the Travelers Championship at TPC River Highlands landed a ball on The Umbrella at 15 ½, the 40-foot wide, 15-foot long floating green shaped like the Travelers red umbrella logo.
Travelers will donate $10,000 to the Ricky Barnes Foundation on behalf of Ricky Barnes, who recorded the closest shot to the pin at 2 feet, eight inches. Ricky and his wife, Suzanne, established the Ricky Barnes Foundation to benefit youth programs related to health, sports and fitness. They established the foundation to support charities in the San Joaquin County where they both grew up.
“All the thanks goes to Travelers for hosting us at a great tournament and doing great charity events like this,” said Barnes. “After hearing the news that I won, I told everyone that I should have started my Foundation earlier. I just started it in February with my wife so this check will go to a great cause.”
Barnes joins previous winners Chad Campbell and Justin Rose.
The Travelers Championship is the PGA TOUR's only early summer stop in the Northeast and is held June 21 – 24, 2012, at TPC River Highlands in Cromwell, Conn. A complete schedule of tournament events and ticket information is available at TravelersChampionship.com.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013