A Shot at Glory on TPC Scottsdale's Famed 16th Hole
January 26, 2012
PHOENIX, Ariz.-- Ever wonder what it would be like to hit a shot on the famed par-3, 16th hole at the TPC Scottsdale during the Waste Management Phoenix Open? One lucky WM Phoenix Open fan and one lucky Phoenix Suns fan will get a chance along with a number of war heroes, celebrities and sponsors during the Phoenix Suns Charities Shot at Glory presented by Snell & Wilmer LLP on Wednesday, February 1st.
This unique closest-to-the-pin contest is a friendly competition featuring roughly 25 participants and will take place following the completion of the FBR/Xerox Silver Pro-Am at approximately 3:30 pm. The event is open to spectators – in fact Waste Management Phoenix Open fans are encouraged to stick around and cheer-on the participants.
The Waste Management Phoenix Open fan participating in the Shot at Glory will be chosen randomly by tournament officials on the day of the event. The Phoenix Suns fan participating in the Shot at Glory will be chosen randomly from the team’s season ticketholders. The celebrity, Wounded Warrior and sponsor participants will be released at a later date.
Past Shot at Glory winners include: New York Post sportswriter Mark Cannizzaro (2008), Tilted Kilt Executive John Reynaud (2009) and rock star Alice Cooper (2010). The 2011 Shot at Glory event was canceled due to frozen turf.
Tournament host The Thunderbirds will award more than $100,000 to the charities chosen by each competitor. Plus, if a participant makes a hole-in-one, $1 million will be given away ($500,000 to the competitor, $500,000 to the charity of their choice) If no one makes a hole-in-one, $40,000 will be donated to the charity of the participant who is closest-to-the-pin, while $25,000 and $15,000 will be donated to the 2nd and 3rd place finishers, respectively. Each of the remaining participant’s charities will receive $1,000.
The Waste Management Phoenix Open will be played January 30 – February 5, 2012, at the TPC Scottsdale. The tournament host Thunderbirds have raised more than $75 million for charities, with more than $45 million generated since 2004. The 2012 edition will mark the 77th playing of the event, making it one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR (not including the major championships). Title sponsor Waste Management, Inc., based in Houston, Texas, is the leading provider of comprehensive waste management services in North America. Through its subsidiaries, the company provides collection, transfer, recycling and resource recovery, and disposal services. It is also a leading developer, operator and owner of waste-to-energy and landfill gas-to-energy facilities in the United States. The company’s customers include residential, commercial, industrial, and municipal customers throughout North America. For more information on Waste Management visit wm.com or thinkgreen.com. For more information on the Waste Management Phoenix Open, visit wmphoenixopen.com.
- CareerBuilder Challenge hosts 'Find Your Calling' 01/21/2017
- PGA TOUR joins AJGA as Official Partner 01/13/2017
- Tiger Woods Foundation, Discovery Education partner to offer digital education resources 01/10/2017
- Puerto Rico Open strengthens ties to Ricky Martin Foundation and its allies at Centro Tau 12/28/2016
- CVS Health Charity Classic reaches $20 million in philanthropic support to Southeastern New England charities 12/23/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge presented by Myrbetriq donation leads to Boys and Girls Club program development 12/22/2016
- PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge continues to support charitable mission 12/19/2016
- BMW Championship raises $2.8 million for Evans Scholars Foundation in 2016 12/16/2016
- WinCo Foods Portland Open announces $1.25 million raised for charity in 2016 12/15/2016
- DAP Championship makes $223,000 charitable donation to The LeBron James Family Foundation 12/13/2016