TPC Las Vegas Teams with SHOT Show for Fundraiser
February 17, 2012
By PGA TOUR Staff
LAS VEGAS—TPC Las Vegas took its annual Birdies for the Brave fundraiser to an exciting new level this year by teaming with The Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show and Conference—the largest and most comprehensive trade show for shooting sports, hunting and law-enforcement industries—to host a fundraising weekend benefiting Birdies for the Brave military home-front groups.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation served as Title Sponsor of the event, with supporting sponsorship provided by Vincent Pestilli and Associates, Camelbak and Benchmade.
The two-day event began with a reception and charity auction, which was attended by participating companies, including Davidson’s, Legacy Sports, ATK, PFI, Scopecoat, the McNett Corporation, Club Red and Shuler Inc., as well as several representatives from homefront groups Homes for Our Troops and Navy SEAL Foundation. PGA TOUR Senior Manager of Military Outreach Stephen Kupcha served as the emcee for the evening’s festivities, which were highlighted by an address from keynote speaker John Kelsall, the father of Navy SEAL Jonas Kelsall, who was killed in the August 2011 helicopter crash in Afghanistan that claimed the lives of 38 military members.
The following morning, guests arrived at TPC Las Vegas for a scramble-format golf tournament featuring the participation of former and current PGA TOUR players Chris Riley, Frank Lickliter II and former PGA TOUR player and noted swing coach Butch Harmon. Many of the teams played with active-duty or retired Navy personnel while wounded warrior Bryant Jacobs participated on behalf of Homes for Our Troops.
Numerous military static displays gave the event a patriotic ambience, including an Army recruiting tent on No. 7, where golfers wore Kevlar vests while hitting their tee shots—giving them an appreciation for the significant weight soldiers carry along with their gear in combat.
Following play, participants returned to the clubhouse for an awards luncheon, the end to the silent auction and a live auction for a limited edition Benchmade Marc Lee knife.
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013
- Kate & Justin Rose Foundation helps Orlando student share love of reading 11/25/2013
- VIDEO: 2012 Travelers Championship Charity Celebration 11/24/2013
- Chappell builds support for cancer program at Children's Hospital Central California 11/22/2013
- THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month concludes with Red Coat Ride Out 11/22/2013
- Rotary Club of Kona receives $55,000 donation from 2013 Mitsubishi Electric Championship at Hualalai 11/22/2013