TPC Las Vegas Teams with SHOT Show for Fundraiser
February 17, 2012
By PGA TOUR Staff
LAS VEGAS—TPC Las Vegas took its annual Birdies for the Brave fundraiser to an exciting new level this year by teaming with The Shooting, Hunting, Outdoor Trade Show and Conference—the largest and most comprehensive trade show for shooting sports, hunting and law-enforcement industries—to host a fundraising weekend benefiting Birdies for the Brave military home-front groups.
The National Shooting Sports Foundation served as Title Sponsor of the event, with supporting sponsorship provided by Vincent Pestilli and Associates, Camelbak and Benchmade.
The two-day event began with a reception and charity auction, which was attended by participating companies, including Davidson’s, Legacy Sports, ATK, PFI, Scopecoat, the McNett Corporation, Club Red and Shuler Inc., as well as several representatives from homefront groups Homes for Our Troops and Navy SEAL Foundation. PGA TOUR Senior Manager of Military Outreach Stephen Kupcha served as the emcee for the evening’s festivities, which were highlighted by an address from keynote speaker John Kelsall, the father of Navy SEAL Jonas Kelsall, who was killed in the August 2011 helicopter crash in Afghanistan that claimed the lives of 38 military members.
The following morning, guests arrived at TPC Las Vegas for a scramble-format golf tournament featuring the participation of former and current PGA TOUR players Chris Riley, Frank Lickliter II and former PGA TOUR player and noted swing coach Butch Harmon. Many of the teams played with active-duty or retired Navy personnel while wounded warrior Bryant Jacobs participated on behalf of Homes for Our Troops.
Numerous military static displays gave the event a patriotic ambience, including an Army recruiting tent on No. 7, where golfers wore Kevlar vests while hitting their tee shots—giving them an appreciation for the significant weight soldiers carry along with their gear in combat.
Following play, participants returned to the clubhouse for an awards luncheon, the end to the silent auction and a live auction for a limited edition Benchmade Marc Lee knife.
- PGA TOUR players pledge support to Oklahoma tornado victims 05/21/2013
- Tiger Woods, Rickie Flower headline sixth annual Notah Begay III Challenge 05/20/2013
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013