THE PLAYERS 2012 to Host “Pink Out” on Mother’s Day
March 14, 2012
By By PGA TOUR Staff
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – With the final round of THE PLAYERS 2012 set for Mother’s Day, Sunday, May 13, tournament officials announced that a “Pink Out” will take place on Championship Sunday in celebration of mothers and in support of breast cancer awareness. THE PLAYERS returns to THE PLAYERS Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, May 7-13.
In conjunction with Sunday’s “Pink Out,” players, caddies, sponsors and fans are encouraged to wear pink to TPC Sawgrass in support of the 26.2 with Donna Foundation, a local charitable organization that raises funds for ground-breaking breast cancer research at Mayo Clinic and women living with breast cancer. For every fan in attendance on Championship Sunday, THE PLAYERS will donate $1 to the 26.2 with Donna Foundation, up to $50,000. If more than 50,000 fans are in attendance, THE PLAYERS will double the donation to $100,000.
THE PLAYERS will also carry the “Pink Out” theme throughout the course with pink ribbons adorning the clubhouse, pink flowers included in the landscape and a “Pink Out”-themed Mother’s Day pin for mothers in attendance. Additional Mother’s Day festivities are planned for Championship Sunday and will be announced soon.
“With Championship Sunday at THE PLAYERS 2012 coinciding with Mother’s Day again this year, we have a unique opportunity to partner with the 26.2 with Donna Foundation and help in their efforts to raise funds for breast cancer research,” said Matt Rapp, executive director of THE PLAYERS. “Through Sunday’s ‘Pink Out,’ we hope to bring attention to all of the work being done to combat this disease. We hope to see everyone in pink on Sunday at THE PLAYERS enjoying a truly special Mother’s Day.”
“Over the years, no one has been more generous to charitable organizations than THE PLAYERS,” said Donna Deegan, 26.2 with Donna founder. “It is humbling to be chosen as a recipient of that generosity. The advancements in breast cancer research and the ability to help the underserved with the disease will be greatly enhanced with these funds, and we couldn’t be more grateful.”
In addition to the “Pink Out,” THE PLAYERS will continue its partnership with the 26.2 with Donna Foundation to host THE PLAYERS 5K with Donna on Saturday, May 5. Traditionally held in Atlantic Beach, THE PLAYERS 5K with Donna 2012 will kick-off tournament week as runners and walkers of all levels enjoy a 5K route through the back nine of THE PLAYERS Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass, just days before the start of the tournament. The race begins at 7:30 a.m., and participants will receive a t-shirt and a Championship Sunday ticket to THE PLAYERS with access to an exclusive Courtyard venue. A post-race celebration and awards ceremony will take place in the JELD-WEN Stadium Village, giving participants a sneak peek inside this fan venue before tournament week begins. Those interested in participating can register at www.breastcancermarathon.com.
More information about THE PLAYERS is available at PGATOUR.COM/theplayers.
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017
- Jacobsen honored with GWAA's Charlie Bartlett award 02/17/2017
- 2016 RSM Classic raises more than $2.2 million for charity 02/17/2017
- Sebastian Velona inspires with 'healing hugs' at the Genesis Open 02/16/2017
- Meet the 2017 Farmers Insurance Open winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 02/15/2017
- Waste Management Phoenix Open 'Green Out' raises $100K for nonprofit environmental organizations 02/07/2017
- Patrick Reed AJGA Junior Championship honored with three awards 02/06/2017
- Marc and Audrey Leishman committed to raising sepsis awareness 02/06/2017
- Jimmy Walker Challenge earns AJGA's 2016 Newcomer Award 02/03/2017
- CDW launches “Tech Fore!” charitable giving program 02/02/2017