Price Cutter Charity Championship sets record for charitable giving, reaches $10 million plateau
December 4, 2012
SPRINGFIELD, M.O.- 2012 marked the 23rd anniversary of the Price Cutter Charity Championship presented by Dr Pepper. It also marked a record-breaking year in terms of money raised for local children’s charities. As a result of efforts made by generous sponsors, countless volunteers, community supporters and staff, the John Q. Hammons Foundation distributed record monetary gifts to 47 children’s charities in the Ozarks, totaling a cash amount of $854,262.
The charity distribution took place today during the annual “Celebration of Sharing presented by The McQueary Family” at Highland Springs Country Club. This number marks a $72,195 or 8.4 % increase over last year’s total. Since its inception in 1990, the tournament has given away $10,084,822 to area children’s charities. All proceeds from the Price Cutter Charity Championship presented by Dr Pepper stay in the Ozarks.
The Price Cutter Charity Championship presented by Dr Pepper is a PGA TOUR-sanctioned golf tournament on the Web.com Tour. One of only four of the existing tour stops on the original Ben Hogan Tour dating back to 1990, the Championship celebrated its 23rd anniversary this summer.
The event is played at Highland Springs Country Club in Springfield, Mo. and is the parent to a myriad of related events hosted throughout the Ozarks. Chris Wilson of Dublin, Ohio won the 2012 edition in August.
“The 2012 tournament was the most successful in our 23-year history, but to hit the $10 million milestone for a market of our size was just a pipedream a few years ago,” said tournament director Jerald Andrews. “Our community should be quite proud of this achievement and what it has done for so many charities. The impact has been significant, positively effecting hundreds of children and families throughout our region of the country.”
In commenting on the continuing success of the tournament PGA TOUR commissioner Tim Finchem said, "The spirit of giving back is what makes professional golf truly unique. For 23 years, the Price Cutter Charity Championship presented by Dr Pepper has uniquely demonstrated this core value, touching the lives of countless people and organizations in the Ozarks and throughout Missouri. The collective effort and support of the tournament's staff, its volunteers and its numerous sponsors clearly sets a standard of excellence for the Ozarks, the state of Missouri and professional golf tournaments everywhere. Congratulations to everyone involved."
"Congratulations to the Price Cutter Charity Championship presented by Dr Pepper for this milestone charitable accomplishment," added Web.com Tour president Bill Calfee. "The Web.com Tour is very proud to be associated with the many individuals and organizations in Missouri who have supported the tournament for more than two decades and made today's announcement possible. Deserving of special recognition is tournament director Jerald Andrews, whose leadership and energy have enabled the Price Cutter Charity Championship to reach the $10 million mark."
1996 Price Cutter Charity Championship winner Stewart Cink also extended his congratulations. “Like the PGA TOUR and the Champions Tour, the Web.com Tour has developed a very strong foundation for charitable giving since it was formed in 1990. The PGA TOUR may have no better example of a tournament demonstrating a desire and an ability to support its community through the platform of TOUR golf than the Price Cutter Charity Championship presented by Dr Pepper. While it's been 16 years since I won at Highland Springs Country Club, I have not forgotten the friendly and supportive response I received from everyone there. It is those same kind of people, no doubt, who contributed to making this wonderful announcement about $10 million possible. Congratulations, Springfield!"
Other tournament news announced during the Celebration of Sharing:
• Dates for the 2013 event were announced. The tournament will be held August 2nd – August 12th at Highland Springs Country Club.
• Although the tournament begins in August, the first scheduled event is the 7th annual Cardinals Care Pro-Am, which will be held on Tuesday, July 9th at Branson Creek Golf Club.
• Dick Jones was awarded the Judy Weekley Volunteer of the Year Award, an award that is presented each year to a volunteer who exceeds all expectations and goes above and beyond what is asked of him or her. Dick has been affiliated with the tournament for all but one year since its inception and is responsible for the tournament’s public parking.
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017