Bud Cauley Foundation hosts inaugural Birdies for the Brave event
December 4, 2012
By Doug Milne, PGA TOUR staff
JACKSONVILLE, Fla.-- It wasn’t a phone call Bud Cauley wanted to make. After all, he would’ve gladly joined nearly a dozen fellow PGA TOUR players in Orlando for D.J. Gregory’s “Walking For Kids” charity event, but Cauley was hosting a benefit tournament of his own the same day in Jacksonville on Monday. So, he had to decline. Gregory and Cauley wished each other well in their common endeavors and went about their business. Timing conflicts, perhaps, but over-lapping charity events is never a bad thing. And on the PGA TOUR, it’s not all that uncommon, either.
Just two days after his Friday and Saturday involvement with the Birdies for the Brave event hosted by World Golf Hall of Fame member Phil Mickelson and wife Amy at TPC Sawgrass, Cauley made his own foray into the world of hosting a charity event with the first annual Bud Cauley Foundation Birdies For the Brave Golf Tournament.
Thirty-three foursomes descended upon Windsor Parke Golf Club to show their support for the 2012 PGA TOUR rookie and the stones which have paved his way onto the PGA TOUR’s front lines.
The military has given Cauley everything. It’s been central to his understanding of freedom and service. It’s bestowed upon him the virtues of loyalty and honor. It has kept a roof over his head and food on his family’s table. The military, he proudly admits, has also made the game of golf possible for him.
“I feel like I owe our military a great deal. I grew up in a military family and on military golf courses,” recalled the son and grandson of Navy divers. “Had it not been for that, I would’ve likely never been introduced to the game of golf. Everything I am now and have now is a by-product of what the military has done for my family and I. I wanted to give back as soon as I could.”
“Today’s important because Bud wouldn’t be where he is had military courses not been available for him to play,” said Bud’s father, Bill. “And the response to this event has been amazing. Because of our hometown ties here in Jacksonville and all of those who support our military, we sold the field out in two days.”
Funds raised from the event will go towards three, fully-funded Golf Academy of America scholarships to Wounded Warriors.
Through the military experience, Cauley has also learned of unity’s power. It’s helped him with the game he cherishes, as well as the avenue by which he found that game.
“It’s like the saying goes on the PGA TOUR, ‘Together, anything’s possible,” Cauley said. “Without the help and support of the TOUR, this tournament wouldn’t have come together like it has.” The success, however, hasn’t been contingent on the TOUR alone.
“My parents have been working on this non-stop for six weeks,” he said. “My sister came in from out of town and spent all night packing gift bags and helping make sure everything’s just perfect.”
From the PGA TOUR players playing for kids in Orlando to Bud’s buds in Jacksonville and the military past which has enabled his – and countless others’ future, there is a certain, undeniable strength in numbers. And that’s where the idea of Together, Anything’s Possible transitions from notion to motion.
- VIDEO: Military homecoming at the Bridgestone Invitational 07/15/2016
- Danny Lee's birdie campaign nets $30,000 for West Virginia flood relief 07/14/2016
- United Rentals teams with Birdies for the Brave to honor and empower military families during PGA TOUR tournaments in 2016 07/13/2016
- Web.com Tour’s Ellie Mae Classic at TPC Stonebrae to feature Habitat for Humanity playhouse build 07/13/2016
- Help military families by playing in the World’s Largest Golf Outing 07/12/2016
- Honda Classic distributes over $3 million to charities in 2016 07/12/2016
- Meet Ashok Babu Kolla, 2016 Bridgestone Invitational winner of the PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 07/12/2016
- PGA TOUR players band together in support of Chalmer's autism foundation 07/06/2016
- Danny Lee pledges to support West Virginia recovery efforts by donating to Neighbors Loving Neighbors 07/06/2016
- EZLinks Golf LLC launches TeeOff.com by PGA TOUR online booking fundraising program to benefit Birdies for the Brave 07/02/2016