The late Terry Russ of the Shell Houston Open named 2012 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year
December 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — The PGA TOUR announced today that the late Terry Russ of Houston has been named the 2012 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for his 46 years of service to the Shell Houston Open (Humble, Texas). Russ passed away on August 18, 2012.
When he joined the Houston Golf Association in the mid-1960s, Russ had two duties: picking up trash and assisting in the parking lot. Performing those tasks as if they were contingent on the tournament’s success or failure was the approach Russ always adhered to in his role of as a volunteer, a tenure which spanned nearly five decades. For 25 years, he served diligently as a starter on either hole No. 1 or No. 10 for the annual Shell Houston Open. Additionally, Russ spent time as a Marshal, parking lot attendant, Pro-Am Chairman and PGA TOUR liason. In 1981, he was elected by his fellow volunteers to lead them as General Chairman for the tournament. Russ was also one of just three members in the 67-year history of the Houston Golf Association to hold the position of honorary director (Board Member for Life).
“If Terry were here today to accept this award, he would be so humbled,” said Steve Timms, president and CEO of the Houston Golf Association. “In fact, he’d count off a list of others he’d say deserved it before him. That’s just the kind of person he was. But, what he contributed to further the mission of the HGA is unparalleled. No one deserves this award more than Terry.”
A civil engineer by trade, Russ guided the HGA through countless construction projects over the years, saving the Association both money and time. One aspect of his service that Russ was most proud was involving family with the HGA. Over the years, his son, son-in-law and grandson have all donated time to the organization.
The 2013 Shell Houston Open, won in 2012 by Hunter Mahan, will be held March 25-31 at Redstone GC (Tournament Course).
- Deutsche Bank Championship hosts sixth annual 'Healthy Packs' event 08/28/2014
- Morgan Hoffmann walks his way to top-10 finish, raises additional $7.5K for charity 08/28/2014
- The First Tee of Massachusetts expands with help of matching grant 08/28/2014
- Justin Leonard finds a charity to come first before golf 08/28/2014
- Team International wins 2014 Notah Begay III Foundation Challenge 08/28/2014
- Third annual Keegan Bradley Charity Classic benefits cancer, opiate addiction research 08/26/2014
- The Principal Charity Classic generates $1.3 million for charity in 2014 08/26/2014
- PGA TOUR Wives host murder mystery event benefitting New Jersey children in need 08/22/2014
- Horizon Blue Cross Blue Shield teams with Morgan Hoffmann on The Barclays walking challenge 08/21/2014
- Greater Gwinnett Championship distributes over $170,000 to local charities 08/21/2014