The late Terry Russ of the Shell Houston Open named 2012 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year
December 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — The PGA TOUR announced today that the late Terry Russ of Houston has been named the 2012 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for his 46 years of service to the Shell Houston Open (Humble, Texas). Russ passed away on August 18, 2012.
When he joined the Houston Golf Association in the mid-1960s, Russ had two duties: picking up trash and assisting in the parking lot. Performing those tasks as if they were contingent on the tournament’s success or failure was the approach Russ always adhered to in his role of as a volunteer, a tenure which spanned nearly five decades. For 25 years, he served diligently as a starter on either hole No. 1 or No. 10 for the annual Shell Houston Open. Additionally, Russ spent time as a Marshal, parking lot attendant, Pro-Am Chairman and PGA TOUR liason. In 1981, he was elected by his fellow volunteers to lead them as General Chairman for the tournament. Russ was also one of just three members in the 67-year history of the Houston Golf Association to hold the position of honorary director (Board Member for Life).
“If Terry were here today to accept this award, he would be so humbled,” said Steve Timms, president and CEO of the Houston Golf Association. “In fact, he’d count off a list of others he’d say deserved it before him. That’s just the kind of person he was. But, what he contributed to further the mission of the HGA is unparalleled. No one deserves this award more than Terry.”
A civil engineer by trade, Russ guided the HGA through countless construction projects over the years, saving the Association both money and time. One aspect of his service that Russ was most proud was involving family with the HGA. Over the years, his son, son-in-law and grandson have all donated time to the organization.
The 2013 Shell Houston Open, won in 2012 by Hunter Mahan, will be held March 25-31 at Redstone GC (Tournament Course).
- Help injured veterans by joining the World’s Largest Golf Outing on August 3 07/30/2015
- Woods, Fowler take on 19th hole for charity at Quicken Loans National 07/29/2015
- Quicken Loans continues commitment to providing access to military tickets for PGA TOUR events 07/28/2015
- Wyndham Championship takes on childhood hunger in North Carolina's Piedmont Triad 07/24/2015
- Over $500K donated through #RBCGolf4Kids charity challenge 07/23/2015
- David Hearn launches foundation in support of the Alzheimer Society 07/23/2015
- Honda Classic sets charity record despite massive storm 07/23/2015
- Justin Rose named 2015 Spirit of Golf award recipient 07/20/2015
- Birdies for Charity helps kids in the Quad Cities 07/10/2015
- Jordan Spieth to participate in Caddy For A Cure during Quicken Loans National pro-am 07/10/2015