The late Terry Russ of the Shell Houston Open named 2012 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year
December 7, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. — The PGA TOUR announced today that the late Terry Russ of Houston has been named the 2012 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for his 46 years of service to the Shell Houston Open (Humble, Texas). Russ passed away on August 18, 2012.
When he joined the Houston Golf Association in the mid-1960s, Russ had two duties: picking up trash and assisting in the parking lot. Performing those tasks as if they were contingent on the tournament’s success or failure was the approach Russ always adhered to in his role of as a volunteer, a tenure which spanned nearly five decades. For 25 years, he served diligently as a starter on either hole No. 1 or No. 10 for the annual Shell Houston Open. Additionally, Russ spent time as a Marshal, parking lot attendant, Pro-Am Chairman and PGA TOUR liason. In 1981, he was elected by his fellow volunteers to lead them as General Chairman for the tournament. Russ was also one of just three members in the 67-year history of the Houston Golf Association to hold the position of honorary director (Board Member for Life).
“If Terry were here today to accept this award, he would be so humbled,” said Steve Timms, president and CEO of the Houston Golf Association. “In fact, he’d count off a list of others he’d say deserved it before him. That’s just the kind of person he was. But, what he contributed to further the mission of the HGA is unparalleled. No one deserves this award more than Terry.”
A civil engineer by trade, Russ guided the HGA through countless construction projects over the years, saving the Association both money and time. One aspect of his service that Russ was most proud was involving family with the HGA. Over the years, his son, son-in-law and grandson have all donated time to the organization.
The 2013 Shell Houston Open, won in 2012 by Hunter Mahan, will be held March 25-31 at Redstone GC (Tournament Course).
- Colonial’s birdies campaign drives $11 million year for local charities 10/24/2016
- Vi at Silverstone holds “Putt for Charity” to promote Charles Schwab Cup Championship 10/21/2016
- Shaw Charity Classic shatters own record for charitable giving on PGA TOUR Champions 10/20/2016
- PGA TOUR announces top tournament winners in the 2016 PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 10/20/2016
- Travelers Championship generates a record $2.8 million for charity 10/18/2016
- David Hearn Foundation donates $20,000 to Alzheimer Society of Canada 10/13/2016
- Golf & Health Project launches to highlight how golf can benefit all 10/13/2016
- CHARMED Foundation delivers $25,000 donation to Tom Pernice Jr. Charities 10/10/2016
- Drew Charter School makes positive impact on East Lake 09/27/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016