The Children’s Cabinet named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year
December 7, 2012
The Children’s Cabinet, a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization in northern Nevada, is a community organization in the Reno-Sparks area that promotes affordable quality childcare solutions, as well as a variety of family and youth-intervention programs. The goal of the organization is to provide opportunities for low-income, at-risk members of the community facing challenges to stabilize and improve their quality of life. In addition to childcare, other departments within the Cabinet develop and provide programs to youth and families relating to everything from gang awareness and career-planning, to programs for homeless youth and overall family wellness.
“Congratulations to The Children’s Cabinet for being named the PGA TOUR Charity of the Year, and to the Reno-Tahoe Open for its support of The Children’s Cabinet,” said Tim Finchem, PGA TOUR commissioner. “It is more important than ever to support those in need, especially children. The Children’s Cabinet has embraced and assisted many families in the Reno-Sparks area and is a worthy recipient of this award.”
The award comes with a $30,000 grant from the PGA TOUR to support further growth and development of The Children’s Cabinet. The award will provide critical funds for The Children’s Cabinet Afterschool Programming. A myriad of services here include alcohol and substance abuse programs, school drop-out prevention, teen pregnancy prevention, youth leadership and independent living programs for youth transitioning from foster care. The target population of these programs would be youth in the area whose families have been adversely affected by tough economic times.
“We are so proud and privileged to be able to partner with an organization like The Children’s Cabinet,” said Jana Smoley, executive director of the Reno-Tahoe Open. “To be able to join forces with the PGA TOUR to change lives, save lives even, is simply wonderful. The Children’s Cabinet is such a deserving group, and being a part of the help given to those they serve is why we get out of bed each day.”
The 2013 Reno-Tahoe Open, captured in 2012 by J.J. Henry, will be held July 29-August 4 at Montreux Golf & Country Club.
- Brian Gay Invitational raises more than $410,000 to benefit Florida Hospital for Children 12/11/2013
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 12/10/2013
- Words with Friends competition leads to $10,000 First Tee donation 12/09/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013