Second annual Zach Johnson Foundation Classic raises $1 million for Iowa children
August 29, 2012
(Photos by: IMPACT/JOE PHOTO)
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa—The second annual Zach Johnson Foundation Classic raised $1 million during the two-day event in July. The dollars fully fund Kids on Course, a pilot program at Van Buren Elementary and Harrison Elementary Schools that is now entering its second year of programming. These dollars have allowed Kids on Course to add tutoring and family resource rooms to its schools.
“We didn’t know what to expect going into our second year,” Johnson said. “The community really embraced us the first year and as a result of that we raised a good amount of money. We could have never dreamed the second year would be even better than the first. It’s truly amazing.”
Initial projections for the dual events were $700,000 raised. Post-event contributions from sponsors and donors pushed the total tally to the $1 million amount.
Some of the big names Johnson brought in included PGA TOUR players Stewart Cink, Kyle Stanley and Ben Crane. Alfonso Ribeiro, best known as Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air also joined the line-up. Local celebrities included former Iowa and Drake basketball coach Tom Davis, former Iowa and NFL player Tim Dwight and head UNI basketball coach Ben Jacobson.
The Zach Johnson Foundation fully funds the Kids on Course program and developed it in collaboration with the Cedar Rapids Community School District and the United Way of East Central Iowa. The mission of Kids on Course is to empower students by nurturing their interests and providing opportunities to foster in them the confidence to realize their academic and individual potential. “Access to ample funding allows academic and enrichment opportunities for students, giving them a broadened view of the world and its possibilities for them, strengthening their belief in themselves, and contributing to their achievement,” said Ruth White, Director of Kids on Course. “None of this work would be possible without the generosity of Zach and Kim Johnson and the Zach Johnson Foundation, not to mention the community support that led to the success of the second annual Zach Johnson Classic.”
For more details about the Zach Johnson Foundation and Kids on Course, visit www.zachjohnsongolf.com.
- Valero Texas Open, PGA TOUR Wives team up for Game Show Night 04/28/2016
- Houston Golf Association Junior Golf Program receives $10K donation from Shell Houston Open volunteer challenge 04/07/2016
- World Golf Hall of Fame member Lee Trevino honored at FedEx St. Jude Classic Champion’s Day 04/07/2016
- WATCH: The David Toms Foundation launching the future of our youth 04/06/2016
- Graeme McDowell to create once-in-a-lifetime caddie experience for wounded hero during the Masters 04/06/2016
- Longtime TOUR official Bradley brings fun with a purpose to hometown event 04/01/2016
- PGA TOUR Wives visit University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center 03/31/2016
- World Golf Championships-Bridgestone Invitational announces partnership with LeBron James Family Foundation 03/31/2016
- Marc Leishman launches charitable foundation 03/30/2016
- CareerBuilder Challenge volunteer John Hamaliuk donates $10,000 to Boys & Girls Club through PGA TOUR Volunteer Challenge 03/30/2016