Second annual Zach Johnson Foundation Classic raises $1 million for Iowa children
August 29, 2012
(Photos by: IMPACT/JOE PHOTO)
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa—The second annual Zach Johnson Foundation Classic raised $1 million during the two-day event in July. The dollars fully fund Kids on Course, a pilot program at Van Buren Elementary and Harrison Elementary Schools that is now entering its second year of programming. These dollars have allowed Kids on Course to add tutoring and family resource rooms to its schools.
“We didn’t know what to expect going into our second year,” Johnson said. “The community really embraced us the first year and as a result of that we raised a good amount of money. We could have never dreamed the second year would be even better than the first. It’s truly amazing.”
Initial projections for the dual events were $700,000 raised. Post-event contributions from sponsors and donors pushed the total tally to the $1 million amount.
Some of the big names Johnson brought in included PGA TOUR players Stewart Cink, Kyle Stanley and Ben Crane. Alfonso Ribeiro, best known as Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air also joined the line-up. Local celebrities included former Iowa and Drake basketball coach Tom Davis, former Iowa and NFL player Tim Dwight and head UNI basketball coach Ben Jacobson.
The Zach Johnson Foundation fully funds the Kids on Course program and developed it in collaboration with the Cedar Rapids Community School District and the United Way of East Central Iowa. The mission of Kids on Course is to empower students by nurturing their interests and providing opportunities to foster in them the confidence to realize their academic and individual potential. “Access to ample funding allows academic and enrichment opportunities for students, giving them a broadened view of the world and its possibilities for them, strengthening their belief in themselves, and contributing to their achievement,” said Ruth White, Director of Kids on Course. “None of this work would be possible without the generosity of Zach and Kim Johnson and the Zach Johnson Foundation, not to mention the community support that led to the success of the second annual Zach Johnson Classic.”
For more details about the Zach Johnson Foundation and Kids on Course, visit www.zachjohnsongolf.com.
- Valero Texas Open: A bond beyond the ropes for Ryan Polzin and caddie Randy Jones 03/26/2015
- Valero Texas Open teams with Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave to honor two local wounded heroes 03/26/2015
- The First Tee of Tucson: Keeping Kids on the Right Course 03/23/2015
- VIDEO: LPGA, USGA Girls Golf launch Little Girls, Big Dreams campaign 03/19/2015
- Callaway provides fitting gratitude to Purple Heart recipients during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/18/2015
- Graham and Ruby DeLaet Foundation, The Children's Wish Foundation named charitable partners of the Nova Scotia Open 03/16/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives put the finishing touches on Habitat for Humanity home during Valspar Championship 03/12/2015
- PGA TOUR Superstore helps The First Tee increase participation 03/10/2015
- PGA TOUR reaches new charitable plateau in early 2015 03/08/2015
- Imagination Playground joins 2015 WGC-Cadillac Championship 03/05/2015