Second annual Zach Johnson Foundation Classic raises $1 million for Iowa children
August 29, 2012
(Photos by: IMPACT/JOE PHOTO)
CEDAR RAPIDS, Iowa—The second annual Zach Johnson Foundation Classic raised $1 million during the two-day event in July. The dollars fully fund Kids on Course, a pilot program at Van Buren Elementary and Harrison Elementary Schools that is now entering its second year of programming. These dollars have allowed Kids on Course to add tutoring and family resource rooms to its schools.
“We didn’t know what to expect going into our second year,” Johnson said. “The community really embraced us the first year and as a result of that we raised a good amount of money. We could have never dreamed the second year would be even better than the first. It’s truly amazing.”
Initial projections for the dual events were $700,000 raised. Post-event contributions from sponsors and donors pushed the total tally to the $1 million amount.
Some of the big names Johnson brought in included PGA TOUR players Stewart Cink, Kyle Stanley and Ben Crane. Alfonso Ribeiro, best known as Carlton from the Fresh Prince of Bel-Air also joined the line-up. Local celebrities included former Iowa and Drake basketball coach Tom Davis, former Iowa and NFL player Tim Dwight and head UNI basketball coach Ben Jacobson.
The Zach Johnson Foundation fully funds the Kids on Course program and developed it in collaboration with the Cedar Rapids Community School District and the United Way of East Central Iowa. The mission of Kids on Course is to empower students by nurturing their interests and providing opportunities to foster in them the confidence to realize their academic and individual potential. “Access to ample funding allows academic and enrichment opportunities for students, giving them a broadened view of the world and its possibilities for them, strengthening their belief in themselves, and contributing to their achievement,” said Ruth White, Director of Kids on Course. “None of this work would be possible without the generosity of Zach and Kim Johnson and the Zach Johnson Foundation, not to mention the community support that led to the success of the second annual Zach Johnson Classic.”
For more details about the Zach Johnson Foundation and Kids on Course, visit www.zachjohnsongolf.com.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013