2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open raises over $5.5 million for Arizona charities
August 27, 2012
PHOENIX, Ariz. – Waste Management Phoenix Open hosts, The Thunderbirds, will distribute $5,552,416 to local charities through proceeds raised from the 2012 tournament, Thunderbirds Big Chief Alex Clark announced today.
Since October 2003 when the tournament first brought on a title sponsor, The Thunderbirds and the Open have raised more than $51.9 million for charities ($51,952,439). In its history, dating back to 1932, the Phoenix Open has raised more than $79.9 million for charities in Arizona.
“This is one of my favorite days each year; the day when a year’s worth of hard work truly pays off as the real winners of the Waste Management Phoenix Open are the local charities,” said Clark. “The more than $5.5M we announced today will help thousands in need; we can’t thank the community and our sponsors enough for their outstanding support of this tournament.”
“As North America’s environmental solutions leader, Waste Management is proud to be the title sponsor of the greenest show on grass, and we are extremely pleased that more than $5.5M of golf tournament proceeds are going to charities throughout Arizona,” said David Aardsma, Waste Management chief sales and marketing officer.
“As one of the oldest events on the PGA TOUR, the Waste Management Phoenix Open continues to be a leader among TOUR events,” said PGA TOUR commissioner Tim Finchem. “Congratulations to the tournament, and its host organization, The Thunderbirds on today’s announcement and for continuing to make a tremendous impact on lives in their community.”
The 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open, known as “The Greatest Show on Grass,” will be held at the TPC Scottsdale from January 28th to February 3rd, 2013. The Waste Management Phoenix Open is the best-attended golf tournament in the world and has gained legendary status for being the most unique stop on the PGA TOUR. The 2013 edition will mark the 78th playing of the event (one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR) and the third as the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
The Thunderbirds were founded in 1937 with the mission of promoting the Valley of the Sun through sports. The Thunderbirds consist of 55 “active” members and more than 250 “life” members. For more information on the Thunderbirds or the 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open, call the Thunderbirds office at (602) 870-0163 or visit www.wmphoenixopen.com.
- Molder hits the runway at Halo Animal Rescue's 'Players and Pets' event 01/28/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives Classic at the Waste Management Phoenix Open 01/28/2015
- Watson's car nets $410K for Birdies for the Brave 01/19/2015
- Hunter Mahan to 'putt a painting' for NADA benefit 01/16/2015
- PGA TOUR Wives Classic set for Jan. 27 at Waste Management Phoenix Open 01/15/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR players visit Greenville Shriners Hospital 01/15/2015
- College of the Ozarks named 2014 Champions Tour Charity of the Year 01/14/2015
- Bubba Watson puts classic car on Barrett-Jackson's auction block for charity 01/09/2015
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions serves as vehicle for charity 01/09/2015
- Evans Scholars Foundation surpasses 10,000 alumni 01/08/2015