2012 Waste Management Phoenix Open raises over $5.5 million for Arizona charities
August 27, 2012
PHOENIX, Ariz. – Waste Management Phoenix Open hosts, The Thunderbirds, will distribute $5,552,416 to local charities through proceeds raised from the 2012 tournament, Thunderbirds Big Chief Alex Clark announced today.
Since October 2003 when the tournament first brought on a title sponsor, The Thunderbirds and the Open have raised more than $51.9 million for charities ($51,952,439). In its history, dating back to 1932, the Phoenix Open has raised more than $79.9 million for charities in Arizona.
“This is one of my favorite days each year; the day when a year’s worth of hard work truly pays off as the real winners of the Waste Management Phoenix Open are the local charities,” said Clark. “The more than $5.5M we announced today will help thousands in need; we can’t thank the community and our sponsors enough for their outstanding support of this tournament.”
“As North America’s environmental solutions leader, Waste Management is proud to be the title sponsor of the greenest show on grass, and we are extremely pleased that more than $5.5M of golf tournament proceeds are going to charities throughout Arizona,” said David Aardsma, Waste Management chief sales and marketing officer.
“As one of the oldest events on the PGA TOUR, the Waste Management Phoenix Open continues to be a leader among TOUR events,” said PGA TOUR commissioner Tim Finchem. “Congratulations to the tournament, and its host organization, The Thunderbirds on today’s announcement and for continuing to make a tremendous impact on lives in their community.”
The 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open, known as “The Greatest Show on Grass,” will be held at the TPC Scottsdale from January 28th to February 3rd, 2013. The Waste Management Phoenix Open is the best-attended golf tournament in the world and has gained legendary status for being the most unique stop on the PGA TOUR. The 2013 edition will mark the 78th playing of the event (one of the five oldest events on the PGA TOUR) and the third as the Waste Management Phoenix Open.
The Thunderbirds were founded in 1937 with the mission of promoting the Valley of the Sun through sports. The Thunderbirds consist of 55 “active” members and more than 250 “life” members. For more information on the Thunderbirds or the 2013 Waste Management Phoenix Open, call the Thunderbirds office at (602) 870-0163 or visit www.wmphoenixopen.com.
- Els for Autism Golf Challenge raises close to $12 million in five years 11/24/2015
- Callaway honors Georgia heroes at RSM Classic 11/24/2015
- Charitable impact of $2,316,623 generated by 2015 Shell Houston Open 11/13/2015
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 11/12/2015
- WATCH: Bass Pro Shops Legends of Golf, College of Ozarks team up to honor veterans 11/11/2015
- THE PLAYERS Championship announces record $8.1 million generated for local charities from 2015 tournament 11/11/2015
- PHOTOS: PGA TOUR Wives host arts and crafts event at Batson Children’s Hospital 11/09/2015
- Meet the 2015 Shriners Hospitals for Children Open National Patient Ambassadors 11/04/2015
- Jim Furyk helps kick off THE PLAYERS Giving Back Month with Dreams Come True 11/02/2015
- 2015 John Deere Classic smashes charity record 11/01/2015