Wisconsin's PGA TOUR stars raise nearly $230,000 for charity
August 3, 2012
By Jim Owczarski, OnMilwaukee.com
WALES, Wis.– A Marine Corps color guard stood at attention as the wails of a bagpipe drifted across the putting green at The Legend at Brandybrook. Golf color commentator David Feherty thankfully slapped the back of a veteran with a prosthetic leg while PGA TOUR winner Mark Wilson leaned on a cart to chat with a fellow participant.
Such was the scene in Wales on Monday during the second annual Heroes For Kids charity outing, which was presented by the Wisconsin PGA and featured touring professionals with state ties, including Wilson, Jerry Kelly, Skip Kendall and JP Hayes. It was a relaxed, public event designed to raise money for a handful of charities, including The First Tee of Milwaukee County and several groups designed to support veterans and their families.
Last year the event raised nearly $230,000 in total donations – which included cash donations and the funding of several scholarships – and this year cash giving was up at least 15 percent.
The idea for the event was initially conceived to drum up corporate support for the return of the PGA Tour to Milwaukee, but this year several of the tour pro's felt the focus shifted – and rightfully so – to a more charitable angle.
...Click here to read the entire story on OnMilwaukee.com.
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013
- Web.com Tour's Price Cutter Charity Championship nears $11 million in charitable giving 12/02/2013
- Hyundai Tournament of Champions announces 5K run/walk to benefit children fighting cancer 12/02/2013
- Q&A: PGA TOUR Wives share what they are most thankful for this season 11/28/2013