Wisconsin's PGA TOUR stars raise nearly $230,000 for charity
August 3, 2012
By Jim Owczarski, OnMilwaukee.com
WALES, Wis.– A Marine Corps color guard stood at attention as the wails of a bagpipe drifted across the putting green at The Legend at Brandybrook. Golf color commentator David Feherty thankfully slapped the back of a veteran with a prosthetic leg while PGA TOUR winner Mark Wilson leaned on a cart to chat with a fellow participant.
Such was the scene in Wales on Monday during the second annual Heroes For Kids charity outing, which was presented by the Wisconsin PGA and featured touring professionals with state ties, including Wilson, Jerry Kelly, Skip Kendall and JP Hayes. It was a relaxed, public event designed to raise money for a handful of charities, including The First Tee of Milwaukee County and several groups designed to support veterans and their families.
Last year the event raised nearly $230,000 in total donations – which included cash donations and the funding of several scholarships – and this year cash giving was up at least 15 percent.
The idea for the event was initially conceived to drum up corporate support for the return of the PGA Tour to Milwaukee, but this year several of the tour pro's felt the focus shifted – and rightfully so – to a more charitable angle.
...Click here to read the entire story on OnMilwaukee.com.
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013
- Pairings for TOUR Wives Golf Classic released 05/06/2013