Web.com Tour players visit East Tennessee Children’s Hospital in Knoxville
August 22, 2012
By Royce Thompson, PGA TOUR
KNOXVILLE, Tenn.-- Web.com Tour members Wes Roach and Philip Pettit took time away from their preparation for this week's News Sentinel Open presented by Pilot to visit the East Tennessee Children’s Hospital in Knoxville on Tuesday afternoon.
The 23-year-old Roach, who attended Web School in Knoxville and later attended Duke University, shared his insight on what it’s like to be a professional golfer and given this opportunity.
“I feel fortunate to be in the position I’m in,” said Roach. “Most golfers feel it’s their duty to give back. It’s cool for me, being from Knoxville (to visit the hospital). My folks live here and I have an apartment here.”
Roach indicated he looks forward to attending more charitable events as his first season on the Web.com Tour season continues.
Pettit, a Murfreesboro, Tenn. native who played at University of Tennessee, agrees that a professional golfer's responsibilities don’t end when they walk off the green at the end of their round.
“I like to give back, Pettit said. "I think it’s every player’s responsibility."
Last year, the 27-year-old played in Cliff Kresge’s annual golf tournament to raise money for autism research. Pettit hopes he can find charities and other good causes to support during his professional career.
- Texas-Oklahoma storm relief support at the Crowne Plaza Invitational at Colonial 05/23/2013
- Smith turns a good laugh into a great cause 05/22/2013
- Fowler, Mahan join tornado relief effort 05/22/2013
- Beljan pledges support to Texas tornado victims 05/22/2013
- Support Oklahoma tornado victims 05/22/2013
- PGA TOUR players pledge support to Oklahoma tornado victims 05/21/2013
- Tiger Woods, Rickie Flower headline sixth annual Notah Begay III Challenge 05/20/2013
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013