CBS Sports special highlights giving back throughout the PGA TOUR
August 6, 2012
PONTE VEDRA BEACH, Fla. – Helping those in need has been embedded in the culture of the PGA TOUR for more than 70 years, dating back to the $10,000 charitable donation made by the Palm Beach Invitational in 1938.
Since that seminal moment, tournaments on the PGA TOUR, Champions Tour and Web.com Tour have combined to give more than $1.7 billion to the communities in which they are held, and PGA TOUR players have generated millions more for charities each year through their own foundations and initiatives.
PGA TOUR 2012: Playing with a Purpose presented by Barclays, a one-hour CBS Sports special airing Saturday, Aug. 18, at 2 p.m. ET, not only documents the charitable activities of players and tournaments, but highlights the inspirational stories of those who have benefited from these efforts. Stories include:
• The Barclays. Not only is it significant as the first FedExCup Playoff event, it has donated more than $39.5 million to charity since its inception, including $1.3 million in 2011.
• Luke Donald. The top-ranked player in the world has been a Global Ambassador for The First Tee and has made it his mission to help his hometown chapter, The First Tee of Greater Chicago.
• Bubba Watson. The Masters champion hosts the first annual ‘Bubba’s Bash’ in Columbus, Ohio. The concert brings together numerous world-renowned Christian musical acts with hopes of raising enough money to build a medical clinic in Livayo, Kenya.
• Matt Kuchar. THE PLAYERS Championship winner and his wife, Sybi, hosted the 16th annual CTL Tournament benefiting Camp Twin Lakes. The camp provides more than 9,000 children facing serious illnesses and disabilities with year-round recreational, therapeutic and educational summer camp programs.
• J.B. Holmes. Last August, the two-time PGA TOUR winner underwent brain surgery to address a malformation in his skull. Holmes has since returned to the TOUR and at THE PLAYERS 2012, he had an inspiring following in the Wendorff brothers. Ages 9, 8 and 5, all three brothers have been diagnosed with the same malformation. Holmes treated them to the experience of a lifetime, having them walk inside the ropes as Holmes made his way around the famed PLAYERS Stadium Course at TPC Sawgrass.
• Ben Crane. Crane and his wife Heather’s charitable outreach includes hosting an annual golf tournament that has raised more than $1 million. They also work with the St. Bernard Project in New Orleans, which continues to help rebuild New Orleans after the devastation of Hurricane Katrina in 2005.
For these and other inspiring stories, watch PGA TOUR 2012: Playing with a Purpose presented by Barclays. The show is produced by PGA TOUR Entertainment.
- BMW Charity Pro-Am Presented by SYNNEX Corporation announces inaugural Executive Women’s Day 03/17/2017
- Callaway Golf, Birdies for the Brave honor wounded veterans during Arnold Palmer Invitational 03/14/2017
- Arnie's Army marches on in Palmer's memory 03/13/2017
- Jason Day tees off for charity at TPC Sawgrass 03/08/2017
- Jeff Klauk to host Athletes vs. Epilepsy $1 Million Shootout charity event on April 10 03/06/2017
- Children's Healthcare Charity receives $10,000 donation from The Honda Classic volunteer challenge 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: The First Tee of Mexico launches 03/02/2017
- VIDEO: Volunteering on TOUR 03/02/2017
- RBC Heritage kicks off charity tour 03/01/2017
- Interfaith of The Woodlands named PGA TOUR Champions Charity of the Year 02/21/2017