Pernice gets behind charity event
August 3, 2012
By Mirjam Swanson, The Press Enterprise
This article has been reposted courtesy of The Press-Enterprise.
Murrieta, Calif.- Tom Pernice Jr. has a reputation for keeping it real.
So the Murrieta golfer clearly means it when he throws his weight behind a cause, as he has with the second Tom Pernice Jr. Charity Golf Classic on Monday, Aug.6, at Bear Creek Golf Club.
"Tom is well-respected not only as a good, stand-up individual, but because he speaks his mind and he’s passionate about what he believes," said Tim Evans, founder of the Unforgettables Foundation, one of the groups that will benefit from the fund raiser.
The Unforgettables is an organization that raises funds for cash-strapped families whose children have died. Funds also will be raised for a charity researching childhood blindness in honor of Pernice’s daughter Brooke, who is blind.
"So having someone who really is that way be hard-core, ultra-committed is not seen that often," Evans said. "To have a guy like Tom Pernice, it’s a huge thing."
In addition to playing the role of host, Evans said Pernice has secured an impressive haul of auction items.
That includes United Airlines trips and goodies from Titleist and Fry’s Electronics. He’s also collected items from Tour players such as fellow Murrieta golfer Rickie Fowler, Masters champion Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson, Tom Watson, Luke Donald and Charley Hoffman.
The tournament is sold out, but tickets for the dinner and auction remain.
For more information, visit theunforgettables.com.
- Brian Gay Invitational raises more than $410,000 to benefit Florida Hospital for Children 12/11/2013
- Nationwide Children’s Hospital Championship announces record-setting charitable donation 12/10/2013
- Words with Friends competition leads to $10,000 First Tee donation 12/09/2013
- Kathy Evans named 2013 Champions Tour Volunteer of the Year 12/06/2013
- Memory Matters named PGA TOUR Charity of the Year 12/06/2013
- Darlene Riggs named 2013 PGA TOUR Volunteer of the Year for commitment to THE PLAYERS Championship 12/06/2013
- PHOTOS: Kevin Chappell visits Children's Hospital Central California 12/05/2013
- Mississippi Gulf Resort Classic donates $125,000 to Habitat for Humanity 12/04/2013
- KJ Choi pledges $100,000 to Typhoon Haiyan Relief in the Philippines 12/04/2013
- Gary Player Foundation celebrates 30th anniversary by reaching new record in giving 12/04/2013