Pernice gets behind charity event
August 3, 2012
By Mirjam Swanson, The Press Enterprise
This article has been reposted courtesy of The Press-Enterprise.
Murrieta, Calif.- Tom Pernice Jr. has a reputation for keeping it real.
So the Murrieta golfer clearly means it when he throws his weight behind a cause, as he has with the second Tom Pernice Jr. Charity Golf Classic on Monday, Aug.6, at Bear Creek Golf Club.
"Tom is well-respected not only as a good, stand-up individual, but because he speaks his mind and he’s passionate about what he believes," said Tim Evans, founder of the Unforgettables Foundation, one of the groups that will benefit from the fund raiser.
The Unforgettables is an organization that raises funds for cash-strapped families whose children have died. Funds also will be raised for a charity researching childhood blindness in honor of Pernice’s daughter Brooke, who is blind.
"So having someone who really is that way be hard-core, ultra-committed is not seen that often," Evans said. "To have a guy like Tom Pernice, it’s a huge thing."
In addition to playing the role of host, Evans said Pernice has secured an impressive haul of auction items.
That includes United Airlines trips and goodies from Titleist and Fry’s Electronics. He’s also collected items from Tour players such as fellow Murrieta golfer Rickie Fowler, Masters champion Bubba Watson, Phil Mickelson, Tom Watson, Luke Donald and Charley Hoffman.
The tournament is sold out, but tickets for the dinner and auction remain.
For more information, visit theunforgettables.com.
- PHOTO: Web.com Tour player families visit children's hospital during BMW Charity Pro-Am presented by SYNNEX 05/17/2013
- VIDEO: PGA TOUR $2 Billion & Beyond -- Verlyncia's Story 05/16/2013
- Leishman hoping golf can help heal Newtown 05/16/2013
- Zach Johnson Foundation to host charity volleyball tournament benefitting Iowa children on May 17 05/15/2013
- PHOTOS: Adamonis hosts Fathers for a Cure Golf Classic in Rhode Island 05/15/2013
- Junior golfer playing 50 courses in 50 days to raise funds for education 05/14/2013
- PGA TOUR helps Make-A-Wish grant trip of a lifetime to THE PLAYERS 05/10/2013
- Caddies take aim at TPC Sawgrass to honor one of their own 05/08/2013
- PGA TOUR players trade clubs for caddie bibs at TOUR Wives Golf Classic 05/07/2013
- Pairings for TOUR Wives Golf Classic released 05/06/2013