The Principal Charity Classic sets new charity record
August 29, 2012
DES MOINES, Iowa– The 2012 Principal Charity Classic will donate a record $917,729 to local children’s charities. The annual Champions Tour event is sponsored by the Principal Financial Group® and presented by Wells Fargo.
“The 2012 tournament was record breaking in many ways. Thanks to the incredible support of all those involved, the charitable impact of The Principal Charity Classic has been taken to new levels, benefiting our most valuable asset – our kids,” said Larry Zimpleman, chairman, president and CEO, The Principal®.
Over the last six years, The Principal Charity Classic, the only Champions Tour event in Iowa, has distributed over $4 million for
local children’s charities, funding efforts that have benefited thousands of children in Central Iowa.
Donations from the 2012 tournament will be distributed to five “FORE Our Kids” charities, as well as 92 Birdies for Charity organizations.
The five “FORE Our Kids” charities are:
- Blank Children’s Hospital
- BRAVO Greater Des Moines
- The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines (tournament host organization)
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Variety—the Children’s Charity of Iowa
The Principal Charity Classic is among the top two of all Champions Tour events in terms of tournament generated proceeds raised for charity.
In addition to benefitting local charities, the PGA TOUR and an Iowa State University study estimate the tournament generates an economic impact of $20.8 million annually for the region, including increased business for area hotels, restaurants, shopping establishments and other entertainment venues. The event also showcases Des Moines to a national television audience and to more than 80 Champions Tour golfers.
- Drew Charter School makes positive impact on East Lake 09/27/2016
- Show Your Support 09/26/2016
- Birdies for the Brave conducts warrior club fitting at TOUR Championship 09/26/2016
- “84 for 84” effort will benefit East Lake Foundation 09/22/2016
- Valspar Championship donates second Habitat For Humanity house 09/20/2016
- Henderson State unveils Ken Duke golf facility 09/19/2016
- PGA TOUR players give $100,000 to assist with flood relief 09/16/2016
- VIDEO: Jordan Spieth's ace nets $100,000 for Evans Scholars Foundation 09/15/2016
- Team Rose provides unique caddy experience to fallen hero's son during BMW Championship 09/14/2016
- Winner of Deutsche Bank Championship's volunteer challenge announced 09/07/2016