The Principal Charity Classic sets new charity record
August 29, 2012
DES MOINES, Iowa– The 2012 Principal Charity Classic will donate a record $917,729 to local children’s charities. The annual Champions Tour event is sponsored by the Principal Financial Group® and presented by Wells Fargo.
“The 2012 tournament was record breaking in many ways. Thanks to the incredible support of all those involved, the charitable impact of The Principal Charity Classic has been taken to new levels, benefiting our most valuable asset – our kids,” said Larry Zimpleman, chairman, president and CEO, The Principal®.
Over the last six years, The Principal Charity Classic, the only Champions Tour event in Iowa, has distributed over $4 million for
local children’s charities, funding efforts that have benefited thousands of children in Central Iowa.
Donations from the 2012 tournament will be distributed to five “FORE Our Kids” charities, as well as 92 Birdies for Charity organizations.
The five “FORE Our Kids” charities are:
- Blank Children’s Hospital
- BRAVO Greater Des Moines
- The Community Foundation of Greater Des Moines (tournament host organization)
- United Way of Central Iowa
- Variety—the Children’s Charity of Iowa
The Principal Charity Classic is among the top two of all Champions Tour events in terms of tournament generated proceeds raised for charity.
In addition to benefitting local charities, the PGA TOUR and an Iowa State University study estimate the tournament generates an economic impact of $20.8 million annually for the region, including increased business for area hotels, restaurants, shopping establishments and other entertainment venues. The event also showcases Des Moines to a national television audience and to more than 80 Champions Tour golfers.
- VIDEO: Players make a special hospital visit during Allianz Championship 02/26/2015
- Jonas Blixt makes a young cancer survivor's dream come true 02/25/2015
- Fifth annual Els for Autism Golf Challenge kicks off 02/25/2015
- The Els Center of Excellence to welcome first students in August 02/25/2015
- PHOTOS: Mahan teams with sponsor to raise funds for NADA Charitable Foundation 02/24/2015
- Marco Dawson nets $10K for The First Tee of Lakeland with FOX Sports Shot for Charity win at Daytona 02/19/2015
- Web.com Tour Championship, City of Jacksonville donate $408K to The First Tee 02/18/2015
- Greg and Nicole Chalmers launch autism support organization 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Tim Lang 02/13/2015
- VIDEO: AT&T Pebble Beach National Pro-Am fan’s eye view – Katie Horsford 02/13/2015